Originally Posted by Cynical
Originally Posted by CNC
There's folks that burn but that doesn't recycle the veg and build fertility in the same manner. I'm creating richer and richer black soil that's constantly putting out new early successional growth that's constantly reset. The fertility has gotten to the point now that the deer are hammering the summer broadleafs like it's candy. It reminds me of trying to grow beans and sunflowers, etc....I feel quite certain the deer can tell the difference in the fertility.

It’s almost like you think turning over the ground magically causes organic vegetation to disappear like fairy smoke. If not, where do you think that vegetation goes, since your do nothing approach nets you “richer and richer black soil”?

Yeah it’s almost just like that…..except its called decomposition and its not fairy smoke that’s released into the air….its carbon dioxide…….You can slow down the process of decomposition and increase your % soil organic matter over time….also called humus…..or you can speed up the process and actually end up with a net loss each year…….eventually resulting in having none……It completely depends on your management practices

We dont rent pigs