It's not $400-$500 but the nucanoe frontier 12 is awesome for what you described. They are wide and super stable. You would have to try hard to flip it. It also had a weight capacity of 650lbs. Has a square transom for a trolling motor or small outboard. I just got one last month and have regularly fished Smith lake with me, my wife, my dog, 5 poles, tackle box, anchor, and small cooler all in the nucanoe. It's tight but not too cramped. I can even stand and cast with all that. The trolling motor on the back really helps if you are going to be going out a little further too. If I had known my wife was gonna love fishing as much as she does i would stick with a small boat and outboard for 2 people fishing, but if you are solo fishing and just occasionally bringing a second person, the nucanoe is great. But I guess that's all a moot point since it's double your budget. I would look for a used 3 rivers big fish 120 or a used crescent lite tackle. Both are $850ish new. The crescent is super nice and I almost bought one but I wanted the ability to carry a second person.