I have 2 batteries on the boat I'm dealing with. Dad put in an automatic charger for the battery that runs the trolling motor. I plugged it up to an outlet and in a several hours, it was up to 13 volts so I'm good there. My question is for the back battery by the motor. It's showing only 12.36 volts which seems to be about 75% charged. I've only ever used small battery charges for my ATV, deer feeder, and MOJO decoy batteries. I've never had the need to charge up a big battery. The battery charger I got from the boathouse is a Diehard that has settings for 2amp trickle charge, 10amp fast charge, and a 50amp engine start. It also has another switch with "AGM" and "Standard' settings. Should I set it up to charge using the 10amp setting and AGM or what? Once I have it on the correct settings, how long would it take to get it back to fully charged?

If I decide to put some LED lights on the bow, would I hook them into the back or front battery?

Do any of you have a homemade aerator live well. If so, did you hook it into another separate battery or use one of the onboard batteries.

Sorry for all these probably silly questions but again, I'm learning all this stuff for the first time!

Oh, and I got the navigation lights working! Turns out that there was a loose wire that has an end that fits over a battery terminal. Dad evidently just used it when he needed it and the rest of the time he just let it hang loose. It was tangled up with some other wires and I didn't see it until the other night when I was messing with all the wires at the back of the boat. I had a hunch it was for the lights so I just hooked it up to the negative terminal, flipped a switch by sonar mount and BOOM! I had stern and nav lights!

Dr. B

Last edited by bamaeyedoc; 05/20/20 02:06 PM.

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR