Originally Posted by ALclearcut
Coyotes prefer open grassland like their native territory out West. So I am a big believer that they love powerlines, gas lines, fields etc. Clearcutting attracts them like no other. A clearcut is like a Kansas prairie to a coyote in the first few years. They definitely love to walk logging trails as they roam and mark their territory. So could you in theory have coyotes avoid traveling through a 50 acre property as frequently as they might otherwise if you allowed your internal road system to grow up and cut it off from a powerline near the property? Maybe, but then you have no roads to use yourself and it is not going to lower the coyote population in the general area or change your deer herd on a small plot of land.

So yes, humans have created better habitat in the east for coyotes with all our clearcuts, fallow fields, powerlines etc, but I disagree there is any meaningful thing we can do to reverse this that would affect coyote populations.

Taking the property I lease as an example here....we've got approx 400 acres in a long rectangle with a main interior north south road for a mile that gets heavily used. Lets say that we could shut down travel on that road. Do you feel like it wouldn't have any impact on the property? I've read a study or experiment.... I'm trying to recall where....but it suggested that does recognized places that were absent of coyotes and preferred them....I've also read about coyotes impacting deer behavior in a very similar way as hunting pressure. Would these not be some valid reasons to prevent them from using your property even if it's a small parcel regardless of the surrounding population? I believe I've seen both of these play out on my small property for the good and the bad. I've seen a big change in doe numbers and behavior.

Now I'm just throwing out ideas here but a couple of ways that may very well be feasible to shut a road system of they worked might be through some kind of deterrents either visually or with scent. Now I dont know what those might be or if there is anything....but if you could place something visually and/or with scent out every so often that would cause the dogs to divert out of the road and detour around....it might possibly break up the efficiency of working g such a road and cause them to look elsewhere.

How are y'all saying that transient coyotes move across the landscape? Are yall claiming it to be completely random as if they're just wandering around?

We dont rent pigs