Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
[quote=CNC]

What was the buck to doe ratio that QDMA presented are you referring to?

I’m just speaking about the overall idea really of how a deer herd responds to having some balance. How having decent buck to doe ratios helps take some stress off the younger deer and prevents all the bucks from having to go through the rigors associated with a rut that’s really drawn out. Also how they were just trying to show how the deer herd responds to being in balance with the habitat….things like having twins, heavier body weights, etc…..The one area where I think they failed in this regard…. and maybe this is just my personal opinion about things…..but its how they didn’t explain that your herd doesn’t have to throw off twins for every doe or meet a certain body weight criteria. If I want to have a higher deer population and body weights are lower as a result then that’s fine too up to a point. They should have taught it as a gauge of determining which direction you’re headed and how to tweak things when needed so that you never reach critical levels in either direction…..To me it all came out as something that was black and white and like there’s a certain utopian place to manage that we should all seek to reach. There’s not. There’s a lot of clubs and properties out there that had the potential of actually holding more deer that whacked a bunch of does just because they perceived doe management as a part of every situation. Hell, at this point we could make a real good argument that there are very few situations where anyone HAS to shoot does period. You just need to have an understanding of the whole picture and not look to a one size fits all approach. I think they meant to help with that understanding but instead everyone perceived needing to do it one certain way.

hmm, ok. You referenced the buck to doe ratio specifically as being sound and correct, I just figured you knew what it was they said.

No...I was just getting at the reasons for why someone might need to shoot does as they were explaining it. I've always agreed with the approach of educating the public on how things work but there's a fine line there though in how you use it to direct their behavior....whether intentionally or on accident. I don't think that meant for it to go the way it did...I think they likely just didn't foresee the way it would misinterpreted and misused

Last edited by CNC; 02/23/20 09:34 PM.

We dont rent pigs