Originally Posted by Atoler
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
Originally Posted by Orion34
Where I hunt, if you pussy-foot around trying to find the perfect setup, odds are they’ll go quiet and you’ll never get in the game.
I used to think like this, the first several years I hunted them. I especially did on hunts where I was against the clock (before work hunt) and my only real shot of getting one killed on that day would essentially be an off the roost hunt. I called up a bunch of turkeys that I had essentially ZERO chance of killing (and didn't) because my setup was so terrible. Every hunt and situation is different, but when it comes to my more local, on private land, not much chance of anybody killing him but me kinda turkeys....I will walk off and and head to work (for short hunts) or wait/maneuver/listen/scheme for hours (when I have plenty of time) before I will make a call from a horrible setup (turkeys will use mountainous terrain/thickets/rocks and make you look/feel like a damn fool around here). And there is a way higher probability of him dying these days as a result too. I dearly love being in the game too, but not at the expense of relegating myself to almost impossible odds of killing him if/when I call him up.

I don’t have any trouble setting down in a killing spot, the tricky part is setting down in a killing spot that coincides with what that bird wants to do.

I agree. Completely. Point is you can overthink it...