Originally Posted by yelkca280
I will do my best to make my rant as short as possible. A club member called me Saturday and let me know that it looks like we had a deer shot from the paved road sometime Friday night. The club member walked in down a limestone gravel field road that runs through a soybean field to get to a food plot at the base of the mountain all looked normal. Saturday morning no one heard a gunshot while hunting. The member hunted the same area Saturday morning and on the way out finds a massive blood trail and drag marks where someone has shot a deer and drug it out of the field and up the field road to the gate where the blood trail ended.

I called the warden and he explained to me that the deer density was so low in that county that it was just pure luck that someone happened to see a deer from the road and decided to take an opportunity to shoot a deer. He said it would probably not happen again and he could not waste any time on working the area. That’s what he said... he also went on to tell me that the property where this occurred was probably one of the best properties the area if you wanted hunt in that county.

I’m not mad about the situation I just find it sad And shameful that this is the mentality of any wildlife game officer. My hunting license dollars and tax dollars paid to the state along with all of yours should not be squandered this way. It matters not what the deer population of a county is the job assigned is the same for the same pay and same retirement. Why even have a warden in a county that no one cares who does what to what game animal.

I don’t know if the guy has been outside his truck in a few years. The area had a bad EHD outbreak around 2013 that crushed the population. It appears to me that the numbers are looking up. Deer are being seen regularly and I have yet to set foot on the property and not see a deer. I hunted it for the first time this year on Saturday and saw 5 going in blind. There are pics of at least 6 deer that are 4 yr old or older amongst the club members. I don’t know about the warden but I’m my 35 years of bunting I had days a s weeks where I wish I could have seen a deer and that was in high density.

I guess it’s easier to check a fishing license of some old dude sitting on a five gallon bucket fishing around a paved boat ramp.

What county was this?