Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
I spoke yesterday as well and I am against the bill. It is not supplemental feeding if you start/do it during hunting season only. It is baiting. Make it a year round requirement and then you may be able to claim that.

But, here is something that I find interesting. Under the bill, the ONLY animal that can be killed on property that is baiting is whitetail deer. So, if it passes "as is", forget yotes, hogs, coons, ducks, and any other game animal on your property. It will be illegal for you to hunt them. That is a big sacrifice.

Forget high fence. I don't care what you do in your fence. Bait if you like. If the bill wants to legalize it for high fences, go ahead.

For all else, here are some of the motivations.
Large properties that do honestly supplemental feed all during the year are doing so for two primary reasons. They want their deer to be big and healty and they want their deer to STAY on their property.

There is no doubt this is a really a baiting bill. If it were truely about supplemental feeding, it would require the participants to do it year round. If this passes, the "during deer season" supplemental feeders will increase probably 100 times. And they will just about all stop at the end of season, when the deer will really start needing it.

good post..

like someone else said, make it 200-250 yds from feeder and out of line of sight and make it mandatory to feed year around. Now that would be a supplemental feeding bill. This bill is enough of a baiting bill that a lot of people are supporting it b/c they intend to hunt over a feeder (or 100 yds from a feeder). If it was just a supplemental feeding bill you would not see very much support or opposition b/c very few properties feed 9 months a year and those of us that don't want bait piles or hunting over feeders legalized wouldn't care either.

just call the bill what it really is BUT if you really just want to make it legal to supplemental feed during the season then push for a bill that is not a baiting bill. No one would care and thus it would be easier to pass.

By the way, I do see and acknowledge that there are quite a few supporters for a baiting bill, BUT I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that way more than half of the deer hunters in Al. are opposed to it. The pro-baiters are just more vocal for the most part. Just my opinion though... I'm sure others would argue the opposite.