Originally Posted by Southwood7

Originally Posted by ikillbux
I'm blown away by the incessant, nearly militant army of folks posting pictures of tiny young bucks with a caption of "meat in the freezer". I think I'm more intrigued by this line of crap than I am the cull buck narrative.

Why is this a line of crap? I don’t get it.

A person is either woefully socially unaware, or otherwise lying to protect their own interest, if they say they don't recognize this new modern day movement to (my words) return to some arbitrary "grass roots, moral high ground" of hunting. There is an obvious attempt on all avenues of social media to "fight back" against all of us mean trophy hunters who need to mind our business about what other people kill (incidentally this is the most common complaint I see against the current DCNR administration). If you don't know that or believe that, just get on ANY of the umpteen "Alabama Deer Hunters" pages on Facebook, they are inundated by post after post after post after post after post (continue X1000) with a picture of an eighty pound milk mouth 4 point, and the caption is ALWAYS "got meat for the freezer". Seriously?...why didn't you post photos of the Publix bags? You really wanted to humble brag about "meat in the freezer"?

Now this wouldn't be anything worth commenting on, right? I mean, we're all grown men who have seen and/or killed ten hundred bazillion deer. There's nothing particularly impressive about a tiny 4 point, nothing particularly accomplished about killing the dumbest deer in the woods, just basically nothing that should even raise the eyebrow of any breathing human living in Alabama where we can see deer like standing beside every road every day. I mean, anybody who hunts in Alabama, even those who hunt sparingly on poor land, have likely seen lots of deer like that. See where I'm going with this?? So why then will that picture get HUNDREDS of comments, almost all of which say something to the effect of "don't let people shame you about what you kill", and usually NOBODY has commented shaming them about it. Many of these posts have a sarcastic tone of voice, as if they're trying to rub it in the face of any who wouldn't like it. Lots of them just flat out say it. Yet folks like me who prefer to hunt larger racks are the 'bad" guys?? I've NEVER once commented on someone's post that they shouldn't have killed it. I probably thought it, but I wouldn't say it. Every once in a while there's some 80 year old fella standing there with a pump rifle and old green tattered coveralls....when HE says he killed some meat, it makes sense. But when the young dude with his hipster beard has a spike on the tailgate of his new Tundra, with a SxS on a trailer, wearing $800 of Sitka clothes says it, he's just being a peckerhead trying to join in the new wave of social justice warrioring. It's meant to be offensive, and I take offense.

The implication is that "pure and good" hunting is only about eating venison. Sheesh, this ain't 1785 there, Davy Crockett....put ya musket down, ya family ain't gonna starve. I couldn't possibly care LESS about venison, so is my hunting not equally valid to the meat hunter's view of hunting? It's just a personal schtick of mine, probably derailing the original post, but I associate the two topics as the same as having the same hidden meaning.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.