Originally Posted by juice
If you have to go with your dog to pick up a bird then I rest my case. I dont give a rats ass if a bird falls out at 400 yards. That sucker will end up back in the blind in short order and my fat ass won’t do anything but stand up and make a few quick handles. The sole purpose of dog training is to recover game. It doesn’t matter if it’s hunting or trialing, the reason behind it is the same, to get the birds back as quick and efficient as possible. I hate losing birds that’s why I only bring well trained dogs to hunt over. We never lose birds at all in the rice fields and I can absolutely recover any bird with little effort as long as my dog can see me and hear the whistle. I’ve had occasions when a dog picked up a long sailing bird they never saw at such long distances that we shot into multiple volleys before they were able to get back.

You’ve never seen a well trained dog with a competent handler.....that’s an absolute damn fact.

As I said earlier that a well trained dog and a person that knows how to handle the dog is great to watch at a duck blind. Apparently you have never been in the marshes of SW Louisiana and must not have hunted much if you have never lost a bird. You will not see your dog much farther then 40-50yds in most areas here hence the reason I walk with my dog to get it to the area the bird fell. I would love to see you work that dog on a 400Yd crippled duck from the blind out there. Oh well I’m gonna let you have it with your world champion dog. I’ve realized that I could never ever reach your level of hunting or dog “handling”. Have a great season. beers

Last edited by marshmud991; 11/15/19 12:18 PM.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chews your a$$ all day long.