Until someone throws/drops their gun down to hurry and get their hands on the remote to correct the dog, and the muzzle winds up in your ear or ribs or it splashes down in the bottom of the pit or you are staring down a round black hole, you probly can't appreciate it. Dogs barking on a hunt is for squirrel, deer, and hog hunting. I just don't need it or tolerate it.
It's hunting not trialing/hunt testing. It's just a personal view. There's no training like hunting though. Can't be duplicated...and it teaches good dogs bad habits...all trainers, PRO's especially know that. More than 25 years ago you seldom heard of a dog running straight white coat field trials that went hunting.
The last correction I witnessed was a nice dog with a speck in his mouth 100 yds out. dog stopped and started shaking his head...that's strange right...then starts a little dance...then drops goose and goes into a yelping tailspin. Much ado followed of course. dog did NOT bring in the bird. When asked why he corrected the dog he replied that's not the mark I sent him on....some laughing ensued and then he was told that's the only bird that fell!
Nothing like hunting with a trained retriever, we will all agree on that!