Originally Posted by gundoc
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by M48scout
I haven't experienced those issues with my scope, but if they are common, thanks for throwing it out there. I'd appreciate a link to folks discussing the problem. I don't think CDS is without drawbacks, but I like the "dial by yardage' approach.

6 inches @ 100yds is a massive difference, yes. I'm not familiar with that large of a change in 4000-5000 ft, but I have not shot it to see for myself. So, good input if that's the case.

Ya'll know I agree about the Leupold scopes unreliability on dialing. That's why these jokers named me "Leupold pro staff". I think Leupolds are fine for most hunting but I wouldn't dial with one.

Take your scope and dial it from it's current setting to max and back both ways about a dozen times and see it it comes back to your zero every time. I don't doubt a CDS Leupold would dial from 100 to 400 and back a few times but it's the constant back and forth that it won't hold up to and you won't know how many times it will actually work before it fails. It will dial in a pinch but it doesn't have strong enough internals to be durable in it's dialing.

While I agree the basic hunting line isn't buit for repeated dialing, you think their scopes that are designed for such use can't hold up either?

I have a friend who tests scopes for the military who tells me that there is really no difference in the internals of a VX2 and one of their higher end scopes. Even Leupolds top end military stuff has a much higher failure rate than Nightforce according to my friend who tests with tens of thousands of rounds dialed every year.

Actually Zeiss and Swaro aren't any better though except for the newest models designed especially for dialing.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 10/27/19 01:41 PM.