</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Reloading clean out
by Daveleeal. 05/23/24 04:10 PM
Bass boat for sale
by Peach. 05/23/24 12:27 PM
Sako finnlight
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 09:26 AM
various scopes and Kimber 84 ringmounts
by thayerp81. 05/23/24 09:07 AM
Free Kids Bow…..Tuscaloosa
by GomerPyle. 05/23/24 08:52 AM
Serious Deer Talk
how much ammo
by trailertrash. 05/23/24 03:39 PM
Kansas draw
by pcoladoc. 05/23/24 03:15 PM
Favorite hunting method
by Lockjaw. 05/23/24 09:37 AM
Useful Gear
by YellaLineHunter. 05/21/24 10:57 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Big Bore. 05/21/24 09:49 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Who's Online Now
110 registered members (klay, Floorman1, jmj120, CNC, Shane99, BigEd, Fattyfireplug, burbank, sawdust, Nowlide, Okatuppa, SouthBamaSlayer, outdoorguy88, foldemup, scrape, m97, woodduck, 3006bullet, RCHRR, Chaser357, roll_tide_hunts, AJones, chill, Bandit635, Dubie, Forrestgump1, Sixpointholler, Wes7777, Antelope08, deadeye48, MS_Hunter, Hunter454, slippinlipjr, bug54, Ben Cochran, MC21, 700ltr308, Joe4majors, brianr, Jweeks, MGrubber, Whild_Bill, Daveleeal, Red Fox, Noler_Swamp, Buckwheat, sw1002, GHTiger10, kaferhaus, sj22, bamaeyedoc, Scout308, Megatrondiablo, jprice, trlrdrdave, ronfromramer, HappyHunter, M48scout, Big AL 76, DGAMBLER, bodock, Zzzfog, Dragfan66, BCLC, crenshawco, znix123, Dean, Narrow Gap, Etyson, eclipse829, thayerp81, rblaker, Engine5, SEWoodsWhitetail, Austin1, Brian_C, pcoladoc, timberwolfe, doublefistful, PourIron12, NotsoBright, akbejeepin, Bows4evr, Dog, WPZJR, Scout10, !shiloh!, metalmuncher, curt99rsv, donia, Mbrock, Safetyman, Ridge Life, jaredhunts, William, Sgt_mike, GATA87, GoldenEagle, JA, DoeMaster, 10 invisible), 791 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293261
02/26/12 10:38 PM
02/26/12 10:38 PM
tampa, fl. sandfield, al.
G
gator_fan Offline
3 point
gator_fan  Offline
3 point
G
longspur, great post

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293286
02/26/12 11:16 PM
02/26/12 11:16 PM
Baldwin County, AL
longspur69 Offline
8 point
longspur69  Offline
8 point
Baldwin County, AL
I hunt on public land every year for as far back as I can remember, but I don't care if the state does or doesn't allow baiting on it. It's theirs to do with what they chose. On the other hand, I've had several paid leases in which my neighbors used bait and I didn't. That's not a level playing field.

GW's aren't winning the war against baiting, much like LIO's aren't winning the war on drugs. There's a difference. I'm not in favor of legalizing drugs because I can see a clear reason not to. Win or lose, it's a fight worth fighting. It should be illegal. I'm not in favor of legalizing child molestation because I can see a clear reason not to. Win or lose, it's a fight worth fighting. However, I don't see any reason to keep fighting baiting. It shouldn't be illegal to begin with.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293297
02/26/12 11:44 PM
02/26/12 11:44 PM
The Shoals
R
rumrunner Offline
4 point
rumrunner  Offline
4 point
R
The Shoals
Corn isn't the only bait out there, however it is one of the more expensive choices. I feed peanuts and give 5$ for a 100 pound sack and use trough feeders. Pretty cheap to me.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: rumrunner] #293314
02/27/12 01:15 AM
02/27/12 01:15 AM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
There was no good reason to outlaw hunting over bait to begin with. And if there was, there doesn't appear to be now. If it's because it makes killing a deer easier, so does a climbing stand, food plots, scope, shooting house, camo, scent killer, etc. There are countless things the state could ban that would make hunting more of a challenge. So, why corn? Corn isn't a magic bullet. It's just one more tool to make it a little easier for less skilled or less fortunate hunters.

Well said. Nice to read a post by someone that uses a little logic, fact, and common sense to formulate their opinions unlike many of those who oppose baiting yet have nothing factual or of any real substance to back up their "feelings" that corn is evil.

Last edited by Todd1700; 02/27/12 01:16 AM.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293477
02/27/12 12:56 PM
02/27/12 12:56 PM
G
gator_fan Offline
3 point
gator_fan  Offline
3 point
G
What Todd said x2

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Todd1700] #293533
02/27/12 02:44 PM
02/27/12 02:44 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Originally Posted By: Todd1700
Quote:
There was no good reason to outlaw hunting over bait to begin with. And if there was, there doesn't appear to be now. If it's because it makes killing a deer easier, so does a climbing stand, food plots, scope, shooting house, camo, scent killer, etc. There are countless things the state could ban that would make hunting more of a challenge. So, why corn? Corn isn't a magic bullet. It's just one more tool to make it a little easier for less skilled or less fortunate hunters.

Well said. Nice to read a post by someone that uses a little logic, fact, and common sense to formulate their opinions unlike many of those who oppose baiting yet have nothing factual or of any real substance to back up their "feelings" that corn is evil.

1.what the heck is a "less fortunate hunter"?

2. do you believe that any lines should be drawn by the state when it comes to "making it a little easier" for "less skilled"/ "lazy hunters".

By the way, what's logical or common sense to one, might be preposterous to another.

I just ask for all baiters to call it like it is and quit the "corn doesn't really help any ways, I'm just for it b/c everyone else is already doing it and it's no different than tree stands or acorns or foodplots, etc., etc., etc. BS. If you are pro-baiting you are pro-baiting b/c you believe it will either help you kill more deer, help you kill deer with less effort, or help you kill more bucks, or ALL OF THE ABOVE. So if you want to legalize it just admit the reasons behind your support of the new bill.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: longspur69] #293535
02/27/12 02:49 PM
02/27/12 02:49 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Originally Posted By: longspur69
Fun4all, it sounds like we have more in common than I thought - seriously. I just think that the outlawing bait to begin with WAS the typical government encroachment. It did fowl things up as it usually does. GW's seem to be more focused on writing bait tickets than stopping trespass hunting, night hunting, killing over the limit. Personally, I think those are more serious offenses. GW's are overwhelmed and understaffed. By no means am I suggesting they aren't also trying to pursue the serious violations, but they just can't do it effectively due to the time required to work the bait cases. There was no good reason to outlaw hunting over bait to begin with. And if there was, there doesn't appear to be now. If it's because it makes killing a deer easier, so does a climbing stand, food plots, scope, shooting house, camo, scent killer, etc. There are countless things the state could ban that would make hunting more of a challenge. So, why corn? Corn isn't a magic bullet. It's just one more tool to make it a little easier for less skilled or less fortunate hunters.

As for making things equal and fair, the current law doesn't - period!

Planting a cornfield is by far too expensive for the majority of hunters. Only the most fortunate can do this giving them a distinct advantage over their neighbors. Very few hunters can afford a tractor and its implements. Very few hunters can afford to plant corn, even if they had the mechanical means. Very few hunters have a tract of land that would lend itself to planting corn (timber company land, pasture land, cut over, etc.).

I think what it all boils down to is, you think allowing hunting over bait is the government GIVING certain hunters a handout. Where as I think NOT allowing hunting over bait is the government TAKING a liberty away from landowners. Giving a welfare check is a hand out and should be seen as a gift, not a right. Cutting taxes is giving something back that the government took away to start with.

a

so where do you draw the line? As far as hunting regs.? Since deer go from one property to another a land owner doesn't own the deer so there should be laws? Correct? or just a free for all?

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293597
02/27/12 04:02 PM
02/27/12 04:02 PM
Lucedale,MS
Image and video hosting by TinyPi
BUCKMAN26 Offline
12 point
BUCKMAN26  Offline
12 point
Lucedale,MS
so... hunting over a food plot isnt "baiting"??? hmmm lol

Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is all...
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293607
02/27/12 04:19 PM
02/27/12 04:19 PM
Baldwin County, AL
longspur69 Offline
8 point
longspur69  Offline
8 point
Baldwin County, AL
troudouble, I don't get where you think everyone in favor of legalizing baiting just wants to kill more deer or is a lazy hunter. It no doubt applies to many advocates, but what difference does that make? It doesn't apply to me, but I don't see where that even matters. I kill exactly the number of deer I want to every year. I like watching them and let tons of deer walk. I usually kill one buck a year. This year I killed two. I had the opportunity to kill 12 or 15. I bought one sack of corn and put it out in September with a game camera. Is there something wrong with that? If a GW checked that spot in October, he could have probably found some chaff there and wrote me a ticket for hunting in "the area" of bait even though I never hunted within a quarter of a mile from there. That's freaking ridiculous.

There are an infinite amount of things that are legal that I don't participate in, but don't feel should be made illegal. I don't want the whole rest of the world to be clones of myself. I rarely sit on a foodplot, but I do some. I mostly like being in the woods outside of a shooting house, but not always. I like having the freedom to hunt how I want to.

Where do you draw the line? I would say draw it where it's absolutely necessary to maintain a healthy population and where it's absolutely necessary for safety. There needs to be an open and closed season. There needs to be a limit on the number of deer taken. There need to be laws related to safety. There DO NOT need to be laws tailored to fit my style of hunting, your style of hunting, Corky Pugh's style of hunting, or anyone else's.

Where do YOU draw the line? How do YOU define hunting? Is it okay for a sportsman to kill a deer he doesn't need for food? Is it okay for a grown man to kill a spike he needs for food? Is it okay for a trophy hunter to kill more does than necessary for a healthy population? Would it be okay for someone in a wheelchair to shoot a deer over a pile of corn? What about an active duty soldier home for a few days at Christmas? Who are you to decide what is or isn't an acceptable in hunting?

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: longspur69] #293616
02/27/12 04:30 PM
Lucedale,MS
BUCKMAN26 Offline
12 point
BUCKMAN26  Offline
12 point
Lucedale,MS
good point sir....

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: longspur69] #293617
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery
If corn baiting is legalized
there is going to be a LOT of conflict
between neighboring landowners.

Just imagine all the small properties surrounding larger properties (or whatever)and folks are lining propery lines
with corn feeders. It is bad enough that people are lining
property lines with greenfields. If passed there will be
"the battle of the corn feeders" going on.

Legalized baiting will just make for more conflict.
It is bad public policy.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293646
02/27/12 04:53 PM
02/27/12 04:53 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
well , i don't care what the guy next door kills . they just as much theirs as mine some thing a few are forgetting these days .

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293663
02/27/12 05:11 PM
02/27/12 05:11 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
my definition of bait is manually placing or pouring something on the ground or in a feeder that can be immediately eaten by wildlife for the sole purpose of killing an animal.

Anything else is not baiting in my book. I would consider a foodplot a multipurpose foodsource and wouldn't argue that "one" of it's purposes for most hunters is to attract deer for the purpose of killing them. You could say the same for mast producing trees, browse after a burn or TSI, ag. fields, etc. Which takes us back to my last question. Where do you draw the line? Most states have apparently taken a similar stance to what is considered bait and what is considered a foodsource that could be utilized to attract deer. Intent and benefit to wildlife have to be considered.

By the way, I would be fine with making it illegal to hunt over foodplots if it meant keeping baiting illegal. 75% of the reason we plant foodplots is to feed our deer and to improve the habitat with the goal of maximizing potential and to keep as many bucks on our property as possible. "Hunting foodplots" is great for kids and older people but for me, whether I hunt them or not isn't that big of a deal. I much prefer hunting in the timber or around cut overs or sage fields.

Last edited by truedouble; 02/27/12 05:15 PM.
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293668
02/27/12 05:24 PM
02/27/12 05:24 PM
Lucedale,MS
BUCKMAN26 Offline
12 point
BUCKMAN26  Offline
12 point
Lucedale,MS
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bait

bait... so hunting over a food plot weather its for qdma or whatever is bait. once ya sit there with a gun with the intent to kill a deer its bait... so, whats difference

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293669
02/27/12 05:25 PM
02/27/12 05:25 PM
Lucedale,MS
BUCKMAN26 Offline
12 point
BUCKMAN26  Offline
12 point
Lucedale,MS
also hunting over acorns would be bait

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: longspur69] #293680
02/27/12 05:36 PM
02/27/12 05:36 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
If you are pro-baiting you are pro-baiting b/c you believe it will either help you kill more deer, help you kill deer with less effort, or help you kill more bucks, or ALL OF THE ABOVE. So if you want to legalize it just admit the reasons behind your support of the new bill.

What a pretentious load. I'm opposed to the baiting ban because it's a stupid, vague, and inconsistent law. Making it illegal to hunt over corn but perfectly fine to hunt over a green patch is like saying you can't kill people with a rifle but you can murder anyone you want with a shotgun. Would that make sense to you? I guess it would since you obviously can't see the same baffling stupid inconsistency in the baiting laws.

What if the speed limit between your house and where you worked was listed as "In the Area of Too Fast" and therefore wide open to the individual judgment of each cop you passed on the highway as to exactly what speed was too fast.

I don't need corn legalized to help me kill does and small bucks (pretty much all you are going to see at a feeder in daylight). Do you know how many deer I pass up a season? Of course you don't, because like many on your side of the issue you don't have any real factual basis for the insults you hurl at the people opposed to the current state of affairs. I could kill 25 deer a year if I wanted. I just have no need for that much meat or the desire to kill small bucks.

But while we are on the subject of easier, how do you hunt deer? On foot with only a spear? If we are going to ban things based purely on what makes hunting easier then there is a helluva list of stuff we are going to have to heap on to that pile of restricted items. For example which of the following makes killing a deer easier, a corn feeder or a firearm? When you admit the truth of that question to yourself I guess you will be ditching all your hunting rifles. After all, you would want hunting to be easier now would you. Noooo, you are too high minded and moral for that.

Quote:
I just ask for all baiters to call it like it is and quit the "corn doesn't really help any ways, I'm just for it b/c everyone else is already doing it and it's no different than tree stands or acorns or foodplots, etc., etc., etc. BS.

Typical but once again no substance. If we are wrong about there being no difference in hunting over green patches then please lay out the facts to us. Is there some strange mystical force in the universe that makes it harder to climb into a shooting house over a green patch vs one near a feeder? Do suitable climbing trees refuse to grow near green patches making it impossible to use a tree stand any where around them? Does it take decades of woodsman hunting wisdom to learn to work the latch on a shooting house door or to be able to open those plexiglass windows? Come on, explain to us how sitting near a corn feeder makes you a slob hunter but sitting over a green patch makes you Daniel f###### Boone. Cause I'd love to hear that explanation.

Quote:
So if you want to legalize it just admit the reasons

And if you oppose it then admit your reasons. Look in a mirror and say, "I have had unsubstantiated bulls### pumped into my brain about corn baiting to the point where I cannot differentiate BS from real facts anymore." AND "The legalizing of baiting would be a recognition that patch hunting and feeder hunting are really no different and then all us patch hunters would officially be no better than the people we have erroneously and baseless called slob hunters for years."

Since we are going to assume insulting things about each other, how do you like my version of it?

Last edited by Todd1700; 02/27/12 05:42 PM.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #293682
02/27/12 05:37 PM
02/27/12 05:37 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
tell that to the state of Alabama and the 30+ other states that don't consider foodplots, acorns, ag fields and browse as "bait".

So why do you want hunting over a pile of corn legalized? Are you for some reason just adamant about the state getting the definition of "Bait" correct or is there a underlying reason?

And again, where do you draw the line?

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Todd1700] #293687
02/27/12 05:46 PM
02/27/12 05:46 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Originally Posted By: Todd1700
Quote:
If you are pro-baiting you are pro-baiting b/c you believe it will either help you kill more deer, help you kill deer with less effort, or help you kill more bucks, or ALL OF THE ABOVE. So if you want to legalize it just admit the reasons behind your support of the new bill.

What a pretentious load. I'm opposed to the baiting ban because it's a stupid, vague, and inconsistent law. Making it illegal to hunt over corn but perfectly fine to hunt over a green patch is like saying you can't kill people with a rifle but you can murder anyone you want with a shotgun. Would that make sense to you? I guess it would since you obviously can't see the same baffling stupid inconsistency in the baiting laws.

What if the speed limit between your house and where you worked was listed as "In the Area of Too Fast" and therefore wide open to the individual judgment of each cop you passed on the highway as to exactly what speed was too fast.

I don't need corn legalized to help me kill does and small bucks (pretty much all you are going to see at a feeder in daylight). Do you know how many deer I pass up a season? Of course you don't, because like many on your side of the issue you don't have any real factual basis for the insults you hurl at the people opposed to the current state of affairs. I could kill 25 deer a year if I wanted. I just have no need for that much meat or the desire to kill small bucks.

But while we are on the subject of easier, how do you hunt deer? On foot with only a spear? If we are going to ban things based purely on what makes hunting easier then there is a helluva list of stuff we are going to have to heap on to that pile of restricted items. For example which of the following makes killing a deer easier, a corn feeder or a firearm? When admit the truth of that question to yourself I guess you will be ditching all your hunting rifles. After all, you would want hunting to be easier now would you. Noooo, you are too high minded and moral for that.

Quote:
I just ask for all baiters to call it like it is and quit the "corn doesn't really help any ways, I'm just for it b/c everyone else is already doing it and it's no different than tree stands or acorns or foodplots, etc., etc., etc. BS.

Typical but once again no substance. If we are wrong about there being no difference in hunting over green patches then please lay out the facts to us. Is there some strange mystical force in the universe that makes it harder to climb into a shooting house over a green patch vs one near a feeder? Do suitable climbing trees refuse to grow near green patches making it impossible to use a tree stand any where around them? Does it take decades of woodsman hunting wisdom to learn to work the latch on a shooting house door or to be able to open those plexiglass windows? Come on, explain to how sitting near a corn feeder makes you a slob hunter but sitting over a green patch makes you Daniel f###### Boone. Cause I'd love to hear that explanation.

Quote:
So if you want to legalize it just admit the reasons

And if you oppose it then admit your reasons. Look in a mirror and say, "I have had unsubstantiated bulls### pumped into my brain about corn baiting to the point where I cannot differentiate BS from real facts anymore." AND "The legalizing of baiting would be a recognition that patch hunting and feeder hunting are really no different and then all us patch hunters would officially be no better than the people we have erroneously and baseless called slob hunters for years."

Since we are going to assume insulting things about each other, how do you like my version of it?

simmer big fellow. laughup We are talking about bait here, not murdering people... thumbup

"I don't need corn legalized to help me kill does and small bucks (pretty much all you are going to see at a feeder in daylight)."

There you go again. Just call it like it is... If you want hunting over corn piles legalized you think it's going to help you kill more bucks and down deep you know that it could also help you kill a mature bucks.

I could send you hundreds of pictures of at least 10 different mature bucks just over the past few years that I have over a pile of corn during the day time. Granted the date on those pics doesn't go beyond the end of Sept. but I think it's safe to say that if I had continued to pour out corn they would have continued to show up during the day. Darn thing is when I quit pouring it out the didn't show up as much. And what's even more mind boggling is a lot of these cameras were set up on foodplots. crazy Still got pictures of these bucks but mostly at night...crazy, I know...

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: truedouble] #293691
02/27/12 05:48 PM
02/27/12 05:48 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
So why do you want hunting over a pile of corn legalized?

Here is a fundamental difference between you and me. I don't think people should have to prove why things should be legal. I think the state should have to show a good reason why something should be illegal.

But as to your question, because it would be great to be able to continue the supplemental feeding of our deer through season (two and a half months when they need it most) without fear of passing too close to one of the feeders and getting a ticket.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: truedouble] #293693
02/27/12 05:51 PM
02/27/12 05:51 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
There you go again. Just call it like it is... If you want hunting over corn piles legalized you think it's going to help you kill more bucks and down deep you know that it could also help you kill a mature bucks.

Blah, Blah, Blah, another post long on questions and devoid of answers. Because you have none like everyone else on your side of this debate.

- Abigail van Buren
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.