To me the benefit of the CDS system is the foolproof simplicity of the process. You want to zero at 200 yards and feel like you can hold at various points to 350 cuz you’ve been practicing? Go for it. You have time to dial the yardage, great, just turn the dial. No interpretation or misjudgment under a pressure situation.

Downside is the specificity of the dial to your load and environment. Once you get elevation and temp at least in the ballpark, it’s not that big of a deal IMO. I think large impact differences could be observed between sea level and 12,000 feet when out at long range, but if you are at least in the ballpark it’s still dead deer/elk. I’ve heard a rule of thumb of 5000 ft making a noticeable difference.

To me hunting is so dang expensive that the cost of a couple dials aren’t that big of a deal. At least as long as you have time to plan and you know what your rifle likes. I’m not a dang sniper and I value simplicity under pressure. If I am ever able to get back out west to hunt I’ll have a dial-by-yardage type turret.