My answer to this question is its all about your spceific situation. Whats your property, topography, soil, field size, financial, equipment and so on situations. All these are the main factors that dictate want a person can do on his property. The biggest problem I see that wildlife managers make is to try to do something on thier property that they saw on TV or read in QDMA that somebody is doing in Illinois or Iowa. When I look a a piece of property I always start with the cheepest and easiest thing to fix not get my drill and plant 40ac of beans. There are so many factors the go into I can't cover them all but the most important thing I tell people is plant what grows best on your place in your soil and think about quality tonage first not attraction and everything will work its self out. Now as far as my place no club, no pay hunts, and no guest, just me and my partner on thousands of acres with a big budget and big boy farm equipment and dozers and big fields in great soil. I basically row crop farm 50 to 80 acres every year mainly planting forage soybeans because fake farming is my passion. I turned every field thats less them 2ac into ladino clover fields years ago. All the big fields are beans and every fall I over seed the clover plots with wheat and Elbon lightly and take portions of the big beans fields this year the whloe fields and over seed Elbon and drill all kinds of suff. I use corn and egyption wheat as brakes and edges in large field but our deer aren't pressured and will just walk out in the middle of a 15ac field anyhow. We have about 100ac in plots or AG of some kind and would have more but my partners family has cow on some of his place. The size of the field basically dictates what we do if its small we lean toward perenial legumes if its big 5ac plus we put beans in it and cover crop it in the fall. This is a short explanation of what we do AG and Plot planting not the whole shabang alot more goes into it. Our place is bad to the bone because of a lot of factors but being able to grow a pile of soybeans every year is definitely a big key to the size of our deer and all the small clover fields really help during a time of year they have nothing else to eat. I do understand that we are the exception to the rule and are extremely blessed to have what we have essentially at an age we can enjoy it.