Had I decided to do this a little earlier I would have ideally liked to have spread the seed and corn well ahead of any rain so that the deer had a week or so to trample around on the hay and seed. I think what I’m gonna do now is to go ahead and spread a little corn out over the 2 acres to be planted ahead of this rain in order to start concentrating the deer and get the trampling process started. I’m not gonna put out a whole lot because I don’t want to have a bunch just get soured if we get a bunch of rain. After the front passes, if we get a substantial amount of rain and the 7-10 day forecast looks good afterwards….then I’m gonna go ahead and spread my seed and the rest of the corn. This might be a good situation where we could layer our planting on maybe spreading 50 lbs/ac now and another 50 in a couple weeks. That’s not something that would work well for hunting clubs that have to plant on work weekends but may be a better option for folks like private land owners who are able to be more flexible about when they do things. As time goes on, the standing biomass is gonna get more and more trampled down to the soil as the cereal grains establish and they begin feeding on them as well.

Last edited by CNC; 10/12/19 09:23 PM.

We dont rent pigs