Originally Posted by leroycnbucks
Originally Posted by TexasHuntress
So, to dumb it down for us common folk, buying permits is basically just bribing ADEM to look the other way while big companies trash the natural resources of the state? Good grief!

That is just all kinds of wrong.

From the outside, my dumbarse would have assumed that buying the permit was essentially paying them to use their resources to enforce proper disposal of said nastiness with their environmental protection tools and materials.

No that’s not true. ADEM places fines for not being compliant in environmental laws and regulations not to look the other way. Believe me you don’t want them to show up on your door.

Okay.

So, are they the agency that is supposed to enforce the cleaning up of these spills, etc. beyond just levying some fines that are apparently not hefty enough to deter this from happening over and over? Are these monies received from the permits and fines for not being in compliance only covering the salaries of those who work for ADEM? Are there no funds being used to clean up the disasters that these companies are causing?

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.---Winnie the Pooh