Originally Posted by blumsden
Harold, if they hammered buckwheat, you either have too many deer or your habitat is subpar because buckwheat is on the lower end of the preference list.

Not necessarily true…..and in this case I can verify with certainty that its not. This is where folks commonly make the mistake of assuming that because someone sees “X” number of deer or can’t grow seed “A” in a food plot, etc…..that they automatically have too many deer and need to shoot some or something else is wrong……How about this possibility……Maybe the understory habitat around me is prime and and therefore able to support a very high deer density…..a deer density that has no issue wiping out 2 acres of buckwheat in a field that they frequently visit.

Every situation needs to be assessed individually to determine what’s too many and such. There’s an abundance of prime native understory vegetation pretty much year round on my place indicating that I don’t have too many deer. Just about all of them that I see are really healthy looking too….does commonly with twins.

Last edited by CNC; 07/16/19 10:44 AM.

We dont rent pigs