This is the issue we went through. A significant remodel and she had a vision in her head that the original make-up and design of the home did not allow for without significantly exceeding our budget. I planned to stay out of the design as much as possible but because I was the point of contact for the GC I caught the hell. Lesson learned!
Originally Posted by k bush
Originally Posted by leroycnbucks
Originally Posted by juice
I’m 34, but do plan on being here long term. I bought this 24 acres when I was 27 and have no plans on moving anywhere else. Way too much sweat equity in this place already.

Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Depending on your age/how long you plan on living in the house, not a terrible idea to make the doorways wheelchair width.

Congratulations juice! Hope you and your family enjoy the property and the new house.

I was once a licensed home builder but only built the houses that I was going to live in. There is some great advice in this thread. My advice would be is to be patient with your wife during this process because nothing will wear on your nerves like building a house together. Good luck!👍

Try a major remodel on an older house. 3X the work, tear out-make it fit-replace.