Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Lmao negative. I’ve got a mess with volunteer crimson,radish and triticale in my proso millet right now. It was cool last week but if temps don’t take it out I will with 24D. No seed can “lay there” with this humid wet pattern we’re in right now.

I disagree…….Soil temps play a huge role in germination rates of different species as no doubt know. For example we plant things like beans and peas when soil temps are around 60-65 degrees I believe it is….however we don’t put watermelons or okra seeds in the ground at the same time…….Why not?.....Because optimal germination temps for those species is something like 85-90 degrees. Put them out when soil temps are in the 50’s or 60’s and most of the seed is just gonna lay there and not do squat. What triggers the native veg to sprout and start growing in the spring from seed that was dropped 5-6 months prior?? Is it not the warming soil temps? What keeps summer veg seed from sprouting and growing in Dec…..Is it not because soil temps are too low? Now don’t get me wrong, I’m just speculating on it but I’d have to believe that cool season plants don’t sprout and grow in July for the same reason warm season plants don’t sprout and grow in Dec…..because soil temps have passed a threshold that keeps them dormant.

Last edited by CNC; 06/19/19 09:21 PM.

We dont rent pigs