Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by Irishguy
Originally Posted by James
My stepdad has a 77 vette, 97 vette, and currently working on 70 GTO that just had her engine freshly built to a 468 Stroker. As for the vettes there's nothing to really worry about breaking, but now the GTO is another story 😁 We haven't driven her yet, and I'm sure that rear end is gonna give out 🤣🤣🤣

My Mom had both a 1976 L48 and a 1978 L82 Silver Anniversary Edition. They were both pieces of chit. I think the 1976 had about 175hp from the factory. It was pathetic. It was a rattle trap. Pure junk.

To me the sweet spot in a Corvette right now are the C6 Vette's. I missed out an a nice white one with the saddle leather interior for $15k a few months ago.. In my opinion they are the best looking Corvettes ever made and with great performance too, and the interiors aren't too shabby either. The C7 Vettte's are hideous. The C5's were too bloated looking. The C4's are junk. As mentioned the C3's were junk too, but at least the early ones with the chrome bumpers front and rear were good looking. The Stingrays ere a good looking bunch, but I've never owned one or driven one so I can't speak to how they drove or handled. The 1957 Vette's were particularly good looking too.

If I buy one, which I may do now that the cabin is getting finished, it will be a C6. Preferably a white fastback with a tan interior and a 6 speed manual.

The 77 they own is a fine machine, and it hasn't been stock for years, it has a built 383 stroker now, and they had a 93 (which would be a C4) and it was far from what i would call junk, but opinions are like azzholes 😁

I drove both of those extensively (The 1977 & 1978) and honestly they weren't well put together cars by any stretch of the imagination. Squeaks, rattles, super flexible chassis, it rode like an ox cart, crashed over bumps, etc... I'm not attacking your parent's car, it's just my personal observation on the 1970's Vettes.

There was actually a well documented incident with GM and Road and Track where GM sent a (I believe 1968) Corvette to Road and Track for testing and evaluation and it was so bad that R&T sent it back to GM. (I heard that story on Barrett-Jackson one time. One of the commentators was a former R&T journalist.)

I stand by the comments and I still think the best Vette for the money right now are the C6 models.

Last edited by Irishguy; 06/04/19 01:59 PM.