It took a while, and a lot of wrong ways before I was able to finally make it down above a very large waterfall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Once seeing the pool as the base of the falls, I knew I had to get down there to fish it. This turned out to be one of the most difficult climbs of my life and was hoping if I was able to get down, I would be able to get back up. I eventually made my way down and fished it with a large wooly bugger. Nothing. The pool was so deep that I thought I needed to get down to the fish. I didn’t see any cruising the shallows, but to change it up I tied on the ‘ol faithful Boogle Bug popper in yellow. On the first cast I see a wake speed over to the popper and the water just explodes! Fishing a 2wt this fish felt massive and I knew immediately it was a nice fish. After a few runs, jumps, and several gasps of despair, I brought it to hand.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This fish was absolutely gorgeous. Hues of blue were all over the head, neck, and side. The tips of its fins glowing with brick red. A picture-perfect specimen of a Coosa Bass. A redeye bass this size caught from below a beautiful waterfall with mountain laurel blooming all around is about as good as this kind of combat fishing gets. I may never top that fish and this experience again, so I sat on a big bedrock boulder and just soak in the surroundings. I don’t sit too long, because there is plenty more water to explore.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The mountain laurel this time of year provides the perfect frame for what is some of the most wild and scenic areas of Alabama.

[Linked Image]

Author, Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass: An Adventure Across Southern Waters
JacksonKayak Fishing Team
---------------------------------------------------
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly