Originally Posted by perchjerker
You're funny. There are way more things you can't fish on spinning tackle. The reels just don't have the power of a baitcaster. I can use both and do only use one for finesse lures. If what you say is true, why aren't the Pros all always using spinning tackle instead od baitcasting? They do it for a living, so I'm sure they are more competent than most with both. I'm comfortable with both and spinning tackle handles light line better for me. I caught my biggest bass on a spinning rig. When I was young i thought the same things you seem to be saying, but one trip with a guy that was an expert with a baitcaster changed that forever. He was placing a sally in small holes and placing in the water almost silently. The thought of fishing deep divers, a frog or other power lures on spinning tackle is funny to me.

Oh naw, I'm not arguing for spinning stuff over baitcast stuff (I said I still use baitcast stuff more often), there's just this widespread sentiment out there that it's not macho to use spinning gear. "If I can't catch em with my 7'-11" HXF and 80# braid, then I'm not interested in catching it" (that's how it comes across). You ALWAYS hear it, everybody says it, heck look how many people just on this thread said it (and it wasn't even asking about rods and reels, but people thought it'd tough-guy I reckon to clown on spinning equipment). It's way more complex than just casting reasons or "power", in fact I see the pros use spinning stuff A LOT!!! Frankly I love that most local yocals won't use spinning stuff, I hope they never learn any better! laugh The only thing I love more than winning a tournament with spots, is doing it with spinning stuff thumbup grin

Again, it's just preference... I'm (more often than not) a small-profile lure guy, that's one of the reasons I don't like jigs. I fished a trail last year where I was paired with a guy I didn't know (he was my non-boater). Fit the stereotype perfectly rofl First day we fished together (it was February at Wedowee, clear deep rocky lake) we start off along a bank and I'm throwing a fairly lightweight spinning combo and a #6 Shad Rap. He's throwing a $400 St Croix pool-cue with a freakin' black-blue jig the size of my hat!!!! His words, "Since you're more 'finessin' em', I'll throw this and go for the big bite." (I just rolled my eyes, clearly he's more macho than I am) After back-to-back HOGS choked that Shad Rap (and he made remarks about how he couldn't believe I got those fish in), and I reckon I had caught 7 or 8 fish total, he hadn't had a single bite, I saw him tie on a "KVD 2.5" (I don't even own one of those) and proceeded to still get his butt whooped the rest of the day. And I'll be dang, still wanted to run that cake eater about how "Yeah but if I get the 'right bite' on that jig...." That's what I mean. What the heck was "finessin' em" about that?????? What was his point? I had a near 6-pounder and a 4-1/2 pounder back to back, almost 17 lbs total. Many times I've frog fished Guntersville with gorilla-gear and not had that much weight. Again, I don't see what everybody's deal is about spinning equipment. I would NOT have caught those fish without it....it's freakin' hard to throw a Shad Rap (esp a #6) with baitcast stuff, especially to get any distance out of it in the breeze, and the drag on a spinning reel is smooth enough to not let those big fish pull off on a Shad Rap. It's WAAAYY more complex than just "casting".

Last edited by ikillbux; 04/15/19 03:09 PM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.