Originally Posted by red neck richie
If they dont change the law theres gonna be more hogs than you know what to do with. It will affect all other hunting. Not to mention the destruction to the land. They are an invasive species not a game animal and should be classified as such. A lot of states let you hunt them 24/7 365 any way you want . To get rid of as many as possible. Sows can have 2 litters a year with 10 to 15 piglets at a time. Not only do they compete with deer for food but they also eat turkey eggs. A lot of them get trap smart and the only way to kill them is over bait. My .02.

Shooting them over bait will not reduce the numbers enough to make a difference. The only true way to control hog numbers is to dog hunt / trap / and shoot the occasional ones you see. It takes all three to be efficient. The most recent studies done by Texas A&M shows that the reproduction rate of wild hogs are highly exaggerated by the media and companies that are marketing products for wild hogs. The average litter size is 5-6 pigs per litter, most sows have one litter per year but are bred back before the end of that year, and most sows don’t have their first litter until they are slightly over a year of age. I’m sure in a perfect environment with all the stars aligned it is possible to achieve the high numbers that get spread around but from my experience of spending most every off day I have in the hog filled swamps of south Alabama. You don’t see those types of numbers very often. I have seen very few sows with more than 8 pigs with her.