Originally Posted by blade
Originally Posted by Coosa1
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
For every capable turkey hunter I know, I don't know a single one who will kill more than one in a day in Alabama....even the outlaws.

I was sent a picture of one guy holding up three dead longbeards opening morning. It's an internal struggle for me trying to decide on whether or not to throw buddies under the bus and report them for killing WAY over the limit of birds.

Yeah, this is probably the only thing I disagree with in Jugheads post. Lots of more than one a days killed...
I find that rather intriguing (and equally disgusting). I know some outlaws, who kill lots of turkeys every year. Yet, I don't know anybody who will even think about shooting a second turkey from the same setup (unless they are outside of Alabama). They would much rather let the rest of the turkeys walk off in hopes of getting to call them up and experience them all over again on another day. Though these guys might break the limit, there is a very healthy level of self-imposed "ethics" associated with it (i.e. no more than 2 off of any one property/locale in a year, NEVER shoot more than one even if you called up 10 together, never shoot a jake for any reason, etc. etc.). These guys have tons and tons and tons of acreage to hunt and are rather conservation mindful, being super careful not to "hurt" any one property anywhere. They also have lots of time to hunt em and are really good turkey hunters. They would have to quit or go to another state pretty early most years, if they stopped at 5 that is. My personal opinion is though they break man's law, they don't hurt a THING as it pertains to turkey population dynamics. Their effects are just spread over too much property and the wild turkey's reproductive cycle is too unique to convince me otherwise.

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters