I started backpacking in 1983. I was 35 years old, and decided it was time to see the West. As a teacher, I had the luxury of summer vacation, so I signed up for a backpacking course with the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). They took me on a month-long pack trip in the Beartooth/Absaroka Wilderness area north of Yellowstone. I was hooked --I spent most summers backpacking somewhere in the West, and when I retired I moved to Oregon. Haven't been able to do it the last few years--I'm 70 with a bad heart and an injured back. Still do a lot of truck camping and day hiking. My advice-get a good pack from a reputable dealer like REI or Alabama Outdoors. A good pack salesperson will help you get one that fits your body. They can show you how to rig it so the weight is on the hip-belt, not the shoulder straps. The shoulder straps just keep it upright. The next comfort item is good boots that fit. Tell the salesperson what you plan to do. REI carries good boots and has knowledgeable sales staff. Once you have a pack and some boots, put a 50 pound sack of corn in the pack and start walking the neighborhood. A set of trecking poles will let your arms give you an assist, and will improve stability.

Most people have never been more than a day's hike from a road. A backpack will let you access some beautiful places that few have seen. I highly recommend it.
[Linked Image]