Originally Posted by muzziehead
I have been using the minerals on this specific property for almost 20 years and if given the chance to reach maturity which several do, I feel certain the mineral sites have contributed to their development. It’s not unusual for a buck to reach 150’s if allowed to grow. I agree 100% with the effect on the doe especially while carrying fawns and lactating period. We have Praire soil on majority of the land and some of the places look like a ufo landed there.

I’m with you, don’t get me wrong…..It’s tough for me to believe that minerals have no benefits whatsoever…..but its just so hard for any of us to prove that they do beyond speculation and more importantly to be able to measure its impacts. There’s just so many other variables that have an effect on antler growth from year to year….deer to deer….property to property in a wild situation that its hard for us average joe hunters to isolate one factor like minerals and measure its impact. We hunters are bad about coming to the conclusions that we’re looking for and drawing conclusions that are far from being scientifically sound…..”We planted a few acres of summer plots this year and killed the biggest buck that’s ever been killed on the place….The summer plots definitely made the difference!!!”……Did they though?....I’m just making up an example with that but you see that same thought process play out with a lot of different products and whatnot. Would the 150’s on your place only be 130’s if the minerals were taken away? How much are those 150’s a result of great soil?

Like I said to start with though….I put them out just the same as y’all do so I’m in no way trying to say anyone is right or wrong for doing it. I’d just like to be able to put more definitive numbers on the real difference it makes and how much it varies from place to place due to changes in things like soil quality…..If I remember correctly, most of the studies suggest that it doesn't make a difference but I don't know if that's the whole truth to mineral licks. If nothing else it makes for a great place to get pictures.

Last edited by CNC; 03/02/19 08:48 PM.

We dont rent pigs