</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Stihl back pack mosquito sprayer
by Bulls eye. 06/05/24 09:48 AM
Looking For Youth size guitars
by Bowhunter2011. 06/04/24 10:38 PM
ISO
by Big Game Hunter. 06/04/24 09:19 PM
Yamaha 21M 141/2 prop
by brett.smith. 06/04/24 07:31 PM
Coleman Saluspa
by BrentsFX4. 06/04/24 04:16 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Shooting Houses
by Dead down wind. 06/05/24 10:16 AM
Blood Trailing Breeds
by gastoka. 06/05/24 08:43 AM
New Tracking Rules
by BAR1225. 06/05/24 12:03 AM
Texas CWD
by JohnnyLoco. 06/04/24 09:50 PM
Here you go CNC
by CNC. 06/03/24 09:26 PM
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for a couple guys
by MoeBuck. 05/25/24 06:25 PM
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (kodiak06, JohnnyLoco, somedude, Shmoe, Woody1, HoofNSpur, Kicker, USeeMSpurs, PanolaProductions, Skullworks, hamma, Bandit635, dquick1, JKlep, Remington270, donia, Dead down wind, BCLC, hallb, treemydog, CNC, outdoorguy88, jhardy, 7PTSPREAD, CeeHawk37, woodduck, Atoler, CrimsonWSM, JDW25, Sandmtnslayer, 4Tigers, Overland, BD, salock, Bronco 74, Mansfield, fillmore, Tikka Phil, Hoytdad10, WPZJR, dave260rem!, abolt300, dsmc, bald347, bowkl, NotsoBright, claybird, BentBarrel, KnightRyder, Dixiepatriot, Dano, trlrdrdave, desertdog, Brownitsdown, BigA47, snakebit, BuckRidge17, jlbuc10, Jmfire722, Lonster, TwentySeven, FreeStateHunter, Cynical, Shaneomac2, riflenut, DEADorALIVE, sanderson, Keysbowman, Beer Belly, Chaser357, Tall Dog, headshot, Downwind, cullbuck, Peach, BamaPlowboy, effinacotton, Ryano, BrentsFX4, BC, burbank, RidgeRanger, swampcricket, Geeb, Bjoff27, Tree Dweller, twaldrop4, buck_buster, DGAMBLER, Andalusia, RebFormanUDA, WDE, top cat, AustinC, JSanford1974, 000buck, Bulls eye, CrappieMan, Driveby, crenshawco, clayk, Rain Down AL, Bull64, 6 invisible), 789 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: ikillbux] #2743320
02/20/19 02:18 PM
02/20/19 02:18 PM
A
abolt300 Online content
Booner
abolt300  Online Content
Booner
A
Originally Posted by ikillbux
We recently had a somewhat heated debate at the military base I hunt on about the "4 on one side" rule. That's been the requirement for the past few years (with NO other stipulations), and it has devolved into a full-on slaughter of every young buck with "4 on one side". I do not know the exact total harvest, but I'm thinking there were about 100 bucks killed this season (+,- 10), and of that total number I would bet my entire year's income there weren't 5 bucks over 110". This is a place that for the past 15 years has given up MULTIPLE 140" bucks every year (two over 160" the last 3 seasons). Just a general assumption, normally we'd kill maybe 25 to 40 bucks in the 120+" class, I don't think we had a single deer that big this time (maybe one). There is zero difference otherwise, no seasonal or habitat changes, nothing. Believe this or not, I didn't SEE nor even HEAR one single coyote this whole season.

Even though we sell roughly 250-300 licenses each year, in reality there's only about 75-100 hunters out there for most of the season (at any one time anyway). If there is a difference, it's that there's a substantial influx of new guys that started LAST YEAR (being out there as long as I have you become something of a brotherhood). You know everybody, we have an active Facebook page, etc. I will say we had a constant, and I mean constant, clash on the Facebook page about "Guys, cool it with killing all the piss-willy bucks!!!", then "By Golly, it's legal, so I'll kill whatever the @#$@# I want to!!!" If you think there's no repercussions to you "killing whatever you want to", you're dead wrong. Period. Not one single person I've talked to even reports to "secretly" seeing a "big" buck this year. They are NOT THERE.

By the way, this place has long been under Auburn University DMP. They do multiple deer studies each year, nighttime infrared trips, all sorts of stuff. The top 3 management tools are: trigger control, trigger control, trigger control. Nothing else matters. "4 points on one side" just
assures your best young bucks get killed early.

Let me gues....you're in either year 4 or 5 of this "4 on one side" nonsense. Fact of the matter is you are not seeing them because they are not there anymore. The best bucks in every upcoming year class are being killed/high graded out as 1-3 yr olds. If you repeatedly kill all of your young 8 points in successive years you've wiped out the deer that should be your larger antlered, older age class bucks 3-5 yrs down the road. It is a very easy and quick way to screw up a deer herd both genetically and age structure wise unless significant trigger restraint is exercised which it sounds like is not happening. Sounds like AU is well on their way to screwing up a good thing. Is Gus Malzahn also running AU's DMAP program???????

Last edited by abolt300; 02/20/19 02:21 PM.
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: abolt300] #2743333
02/20/19 02:29 PM
02/20/19 02:29 PM
North AL
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
North AL
Originally Posted by abolt300
We recently had a somewhat heated debate at the military base I hunt on about the "4 on one side" rule. That's been the requirement for the past few years (with NO other stipulations), and it has devolved into a full-on slaughter of every young buck with "4 on one side". I do not know the exact total harvest, but I'm thinking there were about 100 bucks killed this season (+,- 10), and of that total number I would bet my entire year's income there weren't 5 bucks over 110". This is a place that for the past 15 years has given up MULTIPLE 140" bucks every year (two over 160" the last 3 seasons). Just a general assumption, normally we'd kill maybe 25 to 40 bucks in the 120+" class, I don't think we had a single deer that big this time (maybe one). There is zero difference otherwise, no seasonal or habitat changes, nothing. Believe this or not, I didn't SEE nor even HEAR one single coyote this whole season.

Even though we sell roughly 250-300 licenses each year, in reality there's only about 75-100 hunters out there for most of the season (at any one time anyway). If there is a difference, it's that there's a substantial influx of new guys that started LAST YEAR (being out there as long as I have you become something of a brotherhood). You know everybody, we have an active Facebook page, etc. I will say we had a constant, and I mean constant, clash on the Facebook page about "Guys, cool it with killing all the piss-willy bucks!!!", then "By Golly, it's legal, so I'll kill whatever the @#$@# I want to!!!" If you think there's no repercussions to you "killing whatever you want to", you're dead wrong. Period. Not one single person I've talked to even reports to "secretly" seeing a "big" buck this year. They are NOT THERE.

By the way, this place has long been under Auburn University DMP. They do multiple deer studies each year, nighttime infrared trips, all sorts of stuff. The top 3 management tools are: trigger control, trigger control, trigger control. Nothing else matters. "4 points on one side" just

Let me gues....you're in either year 4 or 5 of this "4 on one side" nonsense. Fact of the matter is you are not seeing them because they are not there anymore. The best bucks in every upcoming year class are being killed/high graded out as 1-3 yr olds. If you repeatedly kill all of your young 8 points in successive years you've wiped out the deer that should be your larger antlered, older age class bucks 3-5 yrs down the road. It is a very easy and quick way to screw up a deer herd both genetically and age structure wise unless significant trigger restraint is exercised which it sounds like is not happening. Sounds like AU is well on their way to screwing up a good thing. Is Gus Malzahn also running AU's DMAP program???????

Auburn isn't screwing it up, it's the dumbarses who can't keep their booger hooker off the trigger. Deer management is more about hunter management than anything else.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mike35549] #2743340
02/20/19 02:34 PM
02/20/19 02:34 PM
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery
High grading just like they learned in Mississippi - is a disaster for the buck population.

Only way to improve the buck population is age restriction.

I never go by points.
When I here people talk about points alone it unnerves me.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: WmHunter] #2743344
02/20/19 02:37 PM
02/20/19 02:37 PM
Banana Republic
jb20 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
jb20  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Banana Republic
Originally Posted by WmHunter
High grading just like they learned in Mississippi - is a disaster for the buck population.

I never go by points.

I agree but what else can u do for the mass of uneducated hunters that can't tell 2 from 3 or 4 year old

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: WmHunter] #2743346
02/20/19 02:38 PM
02/20/19 02:38 PM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted by WmHunter

I never go by points.

Problem is, most people can count to 4 but they don't know a thing about ageing them on the hoof.

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: AU338MAG] #2743372
02/20/19 02:52 PM
02/20/19 02:52 PM
A
abolt300 Online content
Booner
abolt300  Online Content
Booner
A
Originally Posted by AU338MAG

Auburn isn't screwing it up, it's the dumbarses who can't keep their booger hooker off the trigger. Deer management is more about hunter management than anything else.

Actually they are. It's dumb as hell to impose a 4 on one side restriction in an open public hunting area, without any other indicators such as spread or body confirmation. Just ask the MS wildlife biologists how that statewide 4 on one side worked out for them while they had it in place. The MS biologists were actually fairly quick to adjust their harvest criteria and recognize their mistake and get it fixed. You're without a doubt 100% correct. If everyone had the herd's health in mind and knew how to properly age deer on the hoof, yes it would probably work. Hunter mgmt is the most important part of deer mgmt and the general hunting public has proven time and time again they they cannot manage themselves. Unfortunately in Alabama, hunter management, in a public environment, is virtually impossible due to the "I've got to kill a rack buck or every doe I see, to prove I'm a good hunter and a real man mentality" that has somehow gotten ingrained into the majority of the licensed hunters and non-licensed (big number there too) hunters in this state.

Last edited by abolt300; 02/20/19 02:56 PM.
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: AU338MAG] #2743433
02/20/19 03:46 PM
02/20/19 03:46 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
Originally Posted by Hix14
I love hunting for that trophy. Like most of you guys, I've let a ton of "decent" bucks go over the years. Having hunted in Texas, Illinois and Alabama, I have seen some studs. Even lucky enough to kill a couple of really nice deer. But I heard an old man say something, years ago in one of our preseason hunting club meetings. The debate came up about 6 point or better versus 8 point or better, etc. He said he'd vote to let 2.5 year old 6 points walk and would rather kill 18 month old spikes. His point was that the 6 point is only a year or 2 away from potentially being a shooter. The spike is 3 - 4 years away. Makes some sense. Of course, none of us killed spikes or 2.5 year old 6 points. But I can almost see the rationale behind his comments. Not that I agreed or disagreed. Just an old man' way of looking at things.

And that makes no sense at all...

It makes perfect sense. Really the most endangered deer in the woods is a pretty 2 year old. They ain’t real smart yet but there are a bunch of hunters that will let spikes or little scraggly young bucks of the same age class walk but they will turn that pretty 2 year old buck with good genes inside out quick as they see him. It is exactly the same as high grading timber like previously stated

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: BrentM] #2743452
02/20/19 03:58 PM
02/20/19 03:58 PM
Ramer
ronfromramer Offline
10 point
ronfromramer  Offline
10 point
Ramer
Originally Posted by BrentM
I love hunting for that trophy. Like most of you guys, I've let a ton of "decent" bucks go over the years. Having hunted in Texas, Illinois and Alabama, I have seen some studs. Even lucky enough to kill a couple of really nice deer. But I heard an old man say something, years ago in one of our preseason hunting club meetings. The debate came up about 6 point or better versus 8 point or better, etc. He said he'd vote to let 2.5 year old 6 points walk and would rather kill 18 month old spikes. His point was that the 6 point is only a year or 2 away from potentially being a shooter. The spike is 3 - 4 years away. Makes some sense. Of course, none of us killed spikes or 2.5 year old 6 points. But I can almost see the rationale behind his comments. Not that I agreed or disagreed. Just an old man' way of looking at things.

It makes perfect sense. Really the most endangered deer in the woods is a pretty 2 year old. They ain’t real smart yet but there are a bunch of hunters that will let spikes or little scraggly young bucks of the same age class walk but they will turn that pretty 2 year old buck with good genes inside out quick as they see him. It is exactly the same as high grading timber like previously stated

Yep and that's the problem with having a 8 points or better rule. We used to go by 8 points and outside the ears rule until we realized that was high grading and resulted in killing genetically superior young deer. Went to using body confirmation trying to only kill fully mature bucks. If you keep your finger off the trigger long enough to really take a close look at the body structure before shooting you can get pretty good at it. You might occasionally let one get away while judging one, but I'd rather do that than kill a buck with great potential that's too young. I realize that not everyone takes that approach, but I know what works for us.

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mike35549] #2743474
02/20/19 04:29 PM
02/20/19 04:29 PM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Offline
8 point
Fishduck  Offline
8 point
F
Lamar
The hard part about letting bucks walk is the realization that you won't see them next year. Between neighbors,predators, poachers and disease, most will never reach maturity.

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: Fishduck] #2743482
02/20/19 04:39 PM
02/20/19 04:39 PM
Ramer
ronfromramer Offline
10 point
ronfromramer  Offline
10 point
Ramer
Originally Posted by Fishduck
The hard part about letting bucks walk is the realization that you won't see them next year. Between neighbors,predators, poachers and disease, most will never reach maturity.

Yes that's true, I can't put a number on the good bucks that I've let walk thinking "man that one should be a dandy next year" only to never see them again. Still, I'm going to continue to do it that way. I've killed some very nice bucks and if I kill one now, it's going on the wall. Only exception to that is if its a buck that is obviously past his prime. I occasionally second guess myself on a buck I let go, but I just see it as saving myself $4-500 on taxidermy

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mike35549] #2743489
02/20/19 04:43 PM
02/20/19 04:43 PM
Bessemer, Al
H
Hix14 Offline
4 point
Hix14  Offline
4 point
H
Bessemer, Al
I agree with whoever said the most important part of "trophy management", is that trigger finger. Along with that, is a club full of like minded people. If you want to shoot 2.5 year old deer, that's great. Find a club full of like minded people and put em down. If you want to shoot 4.5 - 5.5 year old deer only, again, find a club with those like minded people. I guarantee those clubs that shoot younger deer tend to have a lot more fun. Lol. It get's awfully discouraging sit after sit after sit and not see a "shooter". But when he finally shows up and gives that opportunity, it's all worth it to me. Different strokes for different folks. At the end of the day, it is a sport. Whatever your taste, enjoy it. My taste is to let the young ones go...

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mike35549] #2743536
02/20/19 05:35 PM
02/20/19 05:35 PM
A
abolt300 Online content
Booner
abolt300  Online Content
Booner
A
One thing that nobody has mentioned is that there is something that clicks in a buck's brain at either 4 or 5 years of age. You can have a great 3 yr old that has "imprinted" on your property and uses it as his home range that you see and pass on a regular basis when he's 3. You'll see him substantially less as a 4 yr old and then "boom". He hits his 5th birthday and he becomes a totally different deer. You just will not see him in daylight like you did when he was a 3 yr old and you certainly won't see him in daylight in the same places you saw him as a 3 yr old. I'm a firm believer that something clicks in their brain and they become mostly, if not virtually completely nocturnal, even if they are in a low pressure situation. That's why mature deer are so hard to hunt and kill as compared to younger deer. Any buck 5 yrs old and older is a worthy adversary and killing him is accomplishment as a hunter.

I agree with Hix. If you want to bust 1 and 2 year olds, get in a club with like minded individuals and have fun. Same with those wanting to pass all young bucks and hunt only mature deer. To each his own but everyone needs to understand the implications of pulling or not pulling that trigger. The trophy guys wont get to pull it very much and need to just be content with seeing and passing good quality bucks to eventually grow and kill the one they are looking for. The "buck killers" will get to pull it often but will very seldom, if ever, have the opportunity to shoot a true high scoring fully mature buck.

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mman] #2743702
02/20/19 08:30 PM
02/20/19 08:30 PM
Land of the free because of th...
mike35549 Offline OP
12 point
mike35549  Offline OP
12 point
Land of the free because of th...
Originally Posted by mman
Originally Posted by mman
Originally Posted by mike35549
That sounds about right. When you start putting actuall numbers to this it makes you realize why you see so few 4+ year old deer compared to 1-2 year olds. The answer to what happen to all those young deer I let go last year is they are dead. That is one reason it is very hard for a club to go from a 6 or 8 point or better club to a only kill 4 or 5 year old bucks. The pool of bucks you are able to kill shrinks dramatically, and most people can't deal with only killing a buck every 2-3 years. But if you have a piece of property big enough to hold 90 bucks but have only 10 or so mature deer out of those 90 it don't give you very many opportunities to kill a buck.

That's exactly right!!! Especially when you are paying 2000+ for a club, it's difficult not to shoot something.

Perfect example. That mentality right there ^^^, along with the 90+ days of gun hunting, coupled with all the "meat hunting" that goes on in Alabama is why we do not have very many older age class bucks in our herd. It's really easy not to shoot something. Sometimes I may go 3 years without killing a buck. Not because I didnt have 15-20 chances each year to kill a good rack buck but because I was specifically hunting older mature deer and usually one or two specific bucks.

In a season I may see up to 25 bucks that I think are 3 1/2. Of course I see a LOT more of 2 1/2 and younger. I don't see that many 4 1/2+ deer. I don't know if their patterns change, they become totally nocturnal or what, but often I don't even get them on camera. They seem to often disappear after 3 1/2. We (me and a few others) try to shoot mature deer but a lot of even 2 1/2 year old deer will meet our standards. While I pass up deer that I think are 3 1/2 or younger, it is tough when the next guy doesn't.

I guess we try to have a balance between seldom shooting anything and killing a few. Every year, we have a couple really good deer killed and everything else, in my opinion, is marginal. We also have some older class bucks that are killed that aren't that impressive, as far as the rack is concerned.

The older I get the more I am concerned about enjoying the hunt. If that means killing a buck in the heat of the moment, that is hot on the trail of a doe, then so be it. I also enjoy watching deer and am usually very slow to pull the trigger. Whatever the case it, the simple fact is that not many bucks make it to 5 1/2+ and those that do didn't get there by being careless.

You don't see those good 2.5 - 3.5 year old bucks the next season because a large % of them just die before next year gets here.

If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough.
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mike35549] #2743875
02/20/19 10:30 PM
02/20/19 10:30 PM
colbert county
cartervj Offline
Old Mossy Horns
cartervj  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
colbert county
I was glad to see the thread come up and wondered if it would lead to a good discussion.

I used to read on age class stats, high grading, replacement rates etc.... We came up with criteria for killing that seemed fair for most everyone.

We decided on age class of 3.5 and the buck had to meet 1 of 3 criteria

3.5 years old
or a
20 inch main beam
or a
15 inch spread

After gathering data we determined the majority of bucks that had 20 inch main beams or 15 inch spreads generally were 3.5 or older on our lease.
Occasionally some younger bucks would have equal to or better than what our average was. For the most part some of the better hunters would let those walk realizing their potential.

Getting a number of deer hunters to agree s harder than herding cats.

I heard some guys from Westervelt stating that a club with more than 10 hunters was almost impossible to get them all to agree.

“Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it.” ― Ronald Reagan
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: cartervj] #2744011
02/21/19 07:48 AM
02/21/19 07:48 AM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted by cartervj
I was glad to see the thread come up and wondered if it would lead to a good discussion.

I used to read on age class stats, high grading, replacement rates etc.... We came up with criteria for killing that seemed fair for most everyone.

We decided on age class of 3.5 and the buck had to meet 1 of 3 criteria

3.5 years old
or a
20 inch main beam
or a
15 inch spread

After gathering data we determined the majority of bucks that had 20 inch main beams or 15 inch spreads generally were 3.5 or older on our lease.
Occasionally some younger bucks would have equal to or better than what our average was. For the most part some of the better hunters would let those walk realizing their potential.

Getting a number of deer hunters to agree s harder than herding cats.

I heard some guys from Westervelt stating that a club with more than 10 hunters was almost impossible to get them all to agree.

Our club has a meet 2 of 4:

4 in bases
15 in spread
18 in main beams
7 in tine.

It's not too restrictive. The only problem I have with age requirements is that there is no way to age a deer with any amount of certainty.

No system is perfect. Some of our mature deer never have spreads greater than 12" while some of our younger deer may have 18 in spreads. We've killed mature deer with short tines and young deer with long tines. Usually our older deer have great mass but I remember one older deer that had no brows (6 pt) and his antlers were slick (not knobby at all) and were not even 4". He weighed 170 lbs in late January, not an ounce of fat, and his teeth were worn down flat.

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mike35549] #2744025
02/21/19 08:09 AM
02/21/19 08:09 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
I've come to the conclusion that the term "trophy hunter" is being used to mean something it doesn't actually mean. I do not know, have never known, a "trophy hunter". I do not know anybody who only hunts the one single very largest deer on their property, or has some unrealistic expectation of only shooting "5yr old" bucks that "score" a certain minimum.

I am not a "trophy" hunter, but I'm a "rack" hunter. That term makes more sense to me and is realistic in Alabama. I don't have specifics, and even if I did it would vary based on where I am. I often say "I don't kill something I wouldn't mount". Some people talk about "don't kill anythin you aren't going to eat" (as in you are wasteful and irresponsible if you killed a deer and just threw away the carcass or otherwise made no use of the meat) Well I feel the EXACT same way about a buck's antlers. If I'm just going to discard (not treasure) the rack, then why the @#$#@ did I shoot him????? Am I that immature and irresponsible?? I just couldn't control my foolish excitement, so I shot a 12" pencil-horned 6pt and simply cut his skull plate off and threw it in the shed. That's just like shooting a doe and dumping her in the ditch as you leave the club.

On Choccolocco WMA I'd probably kill a 14" wide 8pt. However I wouldn't kill that deer on Barbour WMA. On the military base I hunt it would have to be a legit "mounter" (my arbitrary rules are 16" with better than average mass and tine length). But then again there are some hunts where it happens so fast and exciting that I kill a 15-1/4" unimpressive 8pt. But it's basically a grown deer with a rack that would satisfy 98% of Alabama hunters. I hope that makes sense.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: mike35549] #2744027
02/21/19 08:10 AM
02/21/19 08:10 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
some hunters can't age a deer within four years, but a lot of hunters can very accurately age deer on the hoof. One trick is to take LOTS of pics and study the pics BEFORE hunting to allow you to more quickly age/ID a buck when you first see it.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: ikillbux] #2744034
02/21/19 08:18 AM
02/21/19 08:18 AM
Opelika
olemossy Offline
8 point
olemossy  Offline
8 point
Opelika
I've come to the conclusion that the term "trophy hunter" is being used to mean something it doesn't actually mean. I do not know, have never known, a "trophy hunter". I do not know anybody who only hunts the one single very largest deer on their property, or has some unrealistic expectation of only shooting "5yr old" bucks that "score" a certain minimum.

I am not a "trophy" hunter, but I'm a "rack" hunter. That term makes more sense to me and is realistic in Alabama. I don't have specifics, and even if I did it would vary based on where I am. I often say "I don't kill something I wouldn't mount". Some people talk about "don't kill anythin you aren't going to eat" (as in you are wasteful and irresponsible if you killed a deer and just threw away the carcass or otherwise made no use of the meat) Well I feel the EXACT same way about a buck's antlers. If I'm just going to discard (not treasure) the rack, then why the @#$#@ did I shoot him????? Am I that immature and irresponsible?? I just couldn't control my foolish excitement, so I shot a 12" pencil-horned 6pt and simply cut his skull plate off and threw it in the shed. That's just like shooting a doe and dumping her in the ditch as you leave the club.

On Choccolocco WMA I'd probably kill a 14" wide 8pt. However I wouldn't kill that deer on Barbour WMA. On the military base I hunt it would have to be a legit "mounter" (my arbitrary rules are 16" with better than average mass and tine length). But then again there are some hunts where it happens so fast and exciting that I kill a 15-1/4" unimpressive 8pt. But it's basically a grown deer with a rack that would satisfy 98% of Alabama hunters. I hope that makes sense.

:Does to me.

Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: ikillbux] #2744092
02/21/19 09:40 AM
02/21/19 09:40 AM
Banana Republic
jb20 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
jb20  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Banana Republic

I know an old guy that won't step into woods till he has an old big rack buck on cam...hes killed sum big uns..he didn't step in woods last year may not have this year other than checking cams every once in while

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin
Re: Mortality rate of bucks by age class? [Re: BrentM] #2744126
02/21/19 10:04 AM
02/21/19 10:04 AM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
Originally Posted by BrentM

I agree, Mr. Hix friend makes plenty of sense. That pretty 2 Yo 6 to 8 pt has proven he has potential. If you are in a none doe shooting club and want some meat 1 Yo spike makes perfect sense. The younger the age class the quicker they are replaced. Many clubs get bent out of shape when someone shoots a button head. Folks that ain't a big deal , about 50% of the fawns born next summer will be bucks. Those same folks that wanta string a guy up for a button head will shoot every nice 6-8 point 2-3 Yo that walks by. Then wonder why the can't kill a big un!
slap

That doesn't mean blast all spikes , but I'd rather have a spike or two shot off my place than a nice 2 or 3 yo.

Managing wildlife is easy, managing hunters is not.

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.