I hope my comments only add perspective and don't sound too negative about AL hunting. However, being a military family, I've had the privilege of hunting a lot of states (and overseas). I've killed deer in NC, VA, GA, IL, WY, SD, CO, NE, AL, and NJ. (Yes NJ LoL). The only state I've lived in for any considerable amount of time and didn't kill a deer was FL. (That's mainly because I had a bang up place in Georgia to hunt near my work.) In AL, I have hunted Chambers, Randolph, Bullock, Coffee, and Crenshaw counties. All private leases or timber company leases. Mainly pine plantation, but some hardwoods/SMZs. Being not from AL and not growing up here; there aint no family/friends land these days. So mostly what's been available is pine plantation with thick understory (less than desirable habitat, and it's tough hunting). I think folks hold onto their leases whether the hunting is good, it's close to home, etc. Not a lot of turnover on good hunting ground. I'm sure there are some vacancies out there in some quality clubs, but I like doing my own thing, planting my own plots, and missing out on the drama.

Based on my 40+ years of hunting experience, with the last 6 being here, AL is at the bottom of my list for quality and quantity of deer sightings. I realize we have a lot of factors to consider. Weather, trickle rut, rut in hot weather that wears bucks down (possibly increasing mortality each year), but I firmly believe pressure is the biggest factor. We have a lot of "house" dogs and collared hunting dogs push deer year round. Not to mention the amount of coyotes and bobcats we get on camera too. Seems to be quite a bit of trespassing/poaching, night hunting, road hunting, and less than desirable activity. Not to mention there's scent in the woods from 15 October to 10 February each year. Thats the longest season I know of.

For whatever reasons, a 3+ year old AL buck is a whiley creature. If you kill him, you have done a much larger feat than if you kill a midwest deer of the same age. Even then, he's lucky to sport 100" of horn. There's just no way I'd pay what I'm paying for a lease anywhere else in the US for the quality of hunting I've experienced here...but if I don't, somebody else will. Either it's a guy down in FL who don't have much chance at good hunting close to home, or it's somebody local looking for greener pastures because it seems not many are satisfied these days.

Again, just my perspective. If you have a better experience, good. Be thankful. I'm hopeful mine will get better...somehow.

"Now boy, are you sure you can skin griz?"