Originally Posted By: mike35549
Quote:
Thats a big difference between these ole Alabama deer and those in the mid west. Hell, you shoot one in a food plot in most, if not all, of the midwest, if any run they will be back in less than 30 minutes. BTW, thats how it was in the 70s and 80s in Wilcox county. Not that way now. Shoot and you porbably will not see one on that field for a few days.

So why is the deer here so much more spooky than places like the mid west is it just the hunting pressure from just a long season or what.

IMO multiple reasons.
1. rut starts a lot earlier in midwest, so deer haven't been pressured for 2 to 2 1/2 months prior to the rut, as is the case in Bama.
2. most Midwest states have more limited gun season and some states don't even allow hunting with rifles. Also have always had much more restrictive limits, overall than Bama
3. more open country with woodlots. More huntable land over all. Easier to see deer, harder for deer to hide.

Then I think some deer are just more weary and cautious than other deer. No way to prove it but I think it's probably hereditary. For example bucks where I hunt rarely come out in foodplots during the day, even 2.5 year olds but in other parts of the state (same management, same amount of land, etc.) it's nothing to see several young racked bucks in a foodplot in the afternoon. Might have a lot to due with food available, etc. but I swear some deer are just smarter than others.

Last edited by truedouble; 01/30/12 09:13 PM.