Originally Posted by timbercruiser
There is something about force feeding tainted meat over years to give them a disease just to prove a point is a little off. I guess that is the way some research is done, but it is like the testing where they force fed saccharin to the rats, sort of like feeding a human a couple of tons to give a person cancer. After 60 years CWD is still a might, if , could, maybe type of diseaise.

I agree it’s somewhat off but They tested to replicate human consumption of a harvested deer. I.e eating a whole deer over the course of 2 years, more or less. It’s pretty close not really the same as tons of saccahrin. Maybe like a deer a year If you convert what they ate to what we eat, depending on man, woman, child, etc.

The 60 year thing is deceiving. Quoting Texas A&M here but even though it was discovered in 1967, they didn’t pick it up in wild herd until elk in 1981 and deer in 1985. I.e. even though it has been around 51 years, it took til later to show up big in wild herd and The disease was not widespread for many years. Couple this with the fact that I the numbers were low in the beginning years, Prion diseases can have a long incubation period, prion load can make a difference, CJD is notoriously misdiagnosed as Alzheimer’s, etc. and it’s not as easy of a feeling. I bet somewhere that there is an estimate of how many cwd deer have been consumed. Wisconsin actually has a log of people known to have consumed cwd positive meat in past decade or so. They’ll be the ginneau pigs.

Last edited by Swampdrummin; 01/23/19 12:53 AM.

Quack quack.