Originally Posted by BhamFred
Marsh, I agree a 223 WILL kill deer and yer daughter prolly wouldn't go if she had to shoot a 30/06. My grandson started with a 223, killed a deer and hog. But it sure as hell isn't as good a deer killer as a 270W by a long shot. And in take em as they come deer hunting that 223 will let you down by wounding or not letting you take a marginal shot that a 270 can handle.

I've killed every one of over a dozen deer i've shot with a 22lr standard velocity hp, and short hps . DRT. It doesn't make a 22lr a deer rifle.

My 270W loaded with 130 gr Nosler Partitions will kill EVERY deer at any range, at any angle, any size. A 223 won't do that. Been there done that. I've seen neck shot deer with a 223 run off wobbling and need a back up shot with a bigger gun. Range was too far and bullet mushroomed against the spine, damaging but not dropping the deer.

you hit the nail on the head right there. waiting on the the shot that a gun/ammo can make will cost you some nice deer . i dont like bad angle shot but i'll take one ever time if i think thats all i'll get . why i shot a gun that shoots a bullet that will expand good and exit from any angle . busting the gut dont bother me , what they made hose pipes for . lol

i have hunted that way for many years and have put many deer in the truck .

buttttttt , no matter what you shot enough at some point you gonna lose a deer .