Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by AUwrestler

Noticable and significant are different things. I mean if you have fully grown plot in a 3 foot circle in middle of plot and bare dirt outside, then you have too many deer for that plot.

How big is this plot we’re talking about???..... One acre?......Three acres?......Why is that small area used as the measuring stick for how many deer you should have?? Aren’t the other 100’s of acres surrounding that plot more important than that one small area? Shouldn’t that be taken into consideration? Are you basing your deer density goals off of what a small food plot can keep up with?

I'd say a minimum of 5 acres of plot for 100 acres of land to get a feel for if they are impacting too much. Personally I think a property will do better with closer to 10% planted food sources. I see what you are saying about the surrounding area, but there is usually not a lot of natural food in hunting season. I don't care what is planted for summer cause the deer have a ton of natural browse. I'm talking about in February, when all deer have are Woody browse which isn't their favorite and food plot that have better greens or soy pods. That if those plots are bare dirt, you have too many deer usuing your land at that time than the land can hold. Same as if deer are eating multiflora rose. It is not their preferred food, so if it is eaten down. Then they have nothing else and you should decrease the deer or increase the food. The deer may be using it for several reasons. Food, hunting pressure, thermal cover ect. But that is how I would gauge a property.

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore I believe in work, hard work. -George Petrie (1945)