Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I think the biggest thing with a dog is the amount of time you can/will spend in the woods with it. If I were younger I would have one of those wire hair daschunds for a blood tracking dog, they are just a interesting looking little dog.
We use to call it "winding" when a dog was hunting with it's nose in the wind trying to smell on the run.

Those are really good little tracking dogs. They’re a little pricey compared to other dogs but I believe if I was gonna get one just to track for family and friends it would be one of those versus a big dog. My biggest concern with them for someone like me going on lots of tracks for the public is that I’m afraid their little short legs would wear out going on track after track, day after day……

I agree with you about spending time in the woods with them. That's one of the biggest differences in calling in a good working dog versus just having your buddy bring down his dog that's "found a few". Things aren't always straight forward and simple when tracking deer.

We dont rent pigs