Originally Posted by marshmud991
I guess what I'm saying is how many tracks have y'all been on where the hunter found blood and followed it for let's say 50yds and the deer wasn't found yet and backed out and called in the dog? I'm all in for people using the dogs to recover deer and I know it is a very valuable service as I hate to see any animal shot and not recovered. Hell Im working with my lab to track for us if we need. As I said there are some deer in my past that I wish we could have used a dog to find. Just curious to see how many of these deer could have been found with a little effort from the hunters.

A lot of what you’re seeing is a reflection of the number of bad shots being made. You just never heard about them in the past but now those folks have another option to possibly recover that bad shot and you’re hearing the “cries for help” so to speak. Many calls are just scratched up deer….

Another good percentage of calls though are just like Matt just referred to and people wanting to play the situation conservatively knowing that it will increase their odds of recovery. A lot of it is just about weighing the odds…. Once folks see dogs work then they start pondering over that math in their head and they realize that just backing out and letting the dogs handle it is their highest percentage play….”Hey I just stuck “Freak Show” too far back and I’m just not seeing much blood”……. Do you go in the next morning with a search party….booger the area up…..and hope a dog can come out 24 hrs after the fact if you don’t find him??.....Or do you just back out and book the dog as insurance that “Freak Show” ends up on your wall?? That’s why a lot of people call in dogs and in my opinion it’s the absolute right play to make. I say that as a hunter as well as a tracker…..

We dont rent pigs