Originally Posted by marshmud991
I think you guys that track are doing a very valuable service. However after seeing all "I need a tracking dog"threads on here, do people not know how to track deer anymore or they don't want to track it and just let the dogs do it? I guess before dogs the deer just went unfounded? Are people taking more low percentage shots now because they know they can just pick up the phone and have a dog there to find the deer? I'm not by any way bashing the guys with tracking dogs but it's veering to be the big thing now to call in the dogs. There are some deer I shot that I wish now that we had the option of using a dog to find it. But I figured after tracking droplets of blood for 100s of yards and farther that the deer was not gonna die. Is hunters tracking their deer getting to be a thing of the past?

I think there is probably the same amount of bad shots happening as in the past, but before more people knew about calling a tracker, they just gave up easier and didn’t tell everyone they lost a deer. I personally have called trackers (Idaho Mike and bowtarist) on deer I knew were dead, and I knew where they were, because I like to watch dogs work. I’d rather have a dog with 2-4 people walking in the woods only where the deer went than 1 person zigzagging for 3 days every inch of their property

If you want to always win, never play anyone better than you!