Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Groundhawg, I offerd to meet you on Broad St or Ft Rucker last month but no reciprocal agreement with you. I might be over soon depending on the damage we get from the storm. We can eat at the BBQ joint or eat Ice cream there on the corner and talk elk. There is a nice young fella at Willie J’s that is going in the Air Force soon, wish him well.

I have plenty a “clue” about Elk hunting in various of our western states. The 357 was in a hotel parking lot by the Grand Canyon one evening after Supper because the bull was acting up around people so I blew at him getting him to follow me and I dropped him. It was across the road from the IMAX. I’ve spent mucho time hunting elk whether with a weapon or camera. Heck, there are even at least three herds I’ve tracked down in Boxley Valley Arkansas.

You take your time and you can get within a “JohnnyLoco” appropriate distance. I stand by my opinion that longer ranges are for those without skill. I think its piss poor to hunt long range, over bait or green fields, use buckshot, or shooting houses, especially shooting houses with heaters. Moreover, teaching a kid that this is “hunting”.

I said I was staying outta the caliber debates.

Never saw the first/other “invitation”, though not surprised, since I like to view posts that contain intelligent or informative comments I usually do not read a second post with your byline. Of course only a couple of decent places in Ozark to meet, eat, and great and Willie “J” is sure not on that list and do not eat ice cream. Anyway time has run out as moving to Baton Rouge on Tuesday so already busy and yesterday and today really set us back.

Hate to hear a young man is thinking about joining the Air Force. Suggest to most folks that if they want to wear a blue uniform that they become a postal employee. However we Army folks do appreciated using their planes to move us from place to place in a hurry so a job can be completed.

Boxley Valley Arkansas is really a pretty spot as is most of northern Arkansas being there during the time the elk are rutting can allow you to get some great pictures. And the small town of Ponca is quite charming with so many family-operated farms situated on either side of the road that parallels the river, Highway 43, I think, but has been a while.