Originally Posted by joshm28
Originally Posted by dave260rem!
Not to be "that guy" but use what works 1.5x6x great 4x12 go for it. Too much scope is not as bad as too little.

I disagree. I’ve never been in a situation where I had to little of a scope but I have had situations where I’ve had too much. Most of my go to rifles now have 2-3x on the bottom end. Rarely do I ever move the scope above 6x when hunting in Alabama.

When I think of a lever gun a see a ladder stand/woods gun (shots 0-100 yards). A 2x in those situations is ideal. Especially in low light periods where 5x plus becomes a hindrance. There’s nothing worse than being able to see a deer for a shot and NOT being able to see your crosshairs

I'm with Josh on this. Most of my hunting rifles I'm shooting for something around 2-3x on the bottom end of the range. That limits my magnification range on the top end considerably in most cases. When that deer runs up close I prefer to see the whole thing in my scope. I don't want to just see hide. To me that is way more useful than 14x or more at the top of the range. Anyone reading this can take a shot at an ethical distance and be ok with 10x on the top end in Alabama. Out West we can debate what those distances are and how much more scope you need but here in Alabama I have no problem getting close enough to a deer that 10x at the top of the range is adequate. My favorite power range is something with about 12x at the top but getting a low number is difficult. Not many people make a 3-12x scope or around those numbers..

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.