Originally Posted by gundoc
I've been looking through the blue book and the closest I can find to it is a Safari Grade, that's shown as a special order custom shop only rifle. But like yo said, it has no sights. The stock matches though. The 8mm wasn't offered in this grade until 1986 but the way it reads, it was produced until the line was discontinued in 2000.

He may not be that far off on value, but like you, I feel like $1200 is high. I'm thinking $800-$900, specially with it being engraved with his fathers initials.

I did a “‘Sold items” search on gunbroker and a regular Bdl can be had for around $600-$900. Im not sure about the safari grade because they have 2 “dots” on the stock at the receiver instead of one like this one has.
You will probably know what the “dots” are really called but I don’t. I did see one 78 model custom shop that looked exactly like it except the wood wasn’t quite as good. If I can get him to bite on 800 I will drive and look at it. I need it like a hole in the head but for some reason 8 Rem mag has intrigued me.