Originally Posted by turkey247
Originally Posted by Ben2
Crenshaw and turkey 247. I have no biological data. Crenshaw I have killed limits but not in the past 7 or 8 yrs. We killed 4 this year off 1500 acres and that's the most we have killed in 5 years. I have not heard more than 1 turkey gobble in a morning in the last 5 years. I only hunt a few times a yr with kids. work fishing activities etc. Dad and Mr. J hunt every weekend and normally a few days a week. This year Mr. J heard 0 turkeys. Dad killed 2 and heard 1 turkey about half the mornings he went and 0 the rest of the time. I took the kids 4 times 2 times we heard a turkey and killed it 2 times we heard 0. I run lots of cameras during turkey season as well. We used to hear up to 10 birds a morning. Everyone I know who with the exception of 1 guy kills fewer than he ever has. I know I never see turkeys when driving anymore where I used to see them constantly in large numbers in areas in central and north alabama.

Those of you who have great populations I am jealous of what you have. We had that once and it is gone. I have not seen a hen with little ones in 3 years in our area. Just mature hens by themselves. If I had great numbers I would do anything possible to keep them, if that meant hunting fewer days or not killing quite as many I would be good with that as I would love for my kids to get to hear and see what turkey hunting was 10-15 years ago.

Your property is a perfect example for the point we are trying to make. Lower limits and a few days later opening will do absolutely nothing to change what is harvested on that property, and more importany and relevant to the topic - it will not change /help the turkey population for you.

The limit for you could be 3 or 5 or 100, and absolutely nothing changes.

Possibly but if the neighbors only killed 2 or 3 as opposed to 4 or 5 and more gobblers survived there would more gobblers to hunt the next year. The few places I know whose populations have grown the last few years have stopped harvesting turkeys for 3-5 years and killed lots of predators. I am about to start working on the predators.

I completely understand your point and agree with some of what you say however killing fewer turkeys mean more survive each year which leads to a better next year every yr imo.

Last edited by Ben2; 08/19/18 08:43 AM.