I typically use Grim Reapers. I use the standard model with the 1 3/4 inch cut. Love them and never had a whisp of a problem.

My only problem with Rage broadheads is that I think they are way overpriced. I guess they have to be to pay for all that advertising. Other than that they are fine. I have friends that have used them and as long as they did their job the Rage heads did theirs.

As for all this talk about shoulder hits, well much depends on what part you hit. A deers shoulder appears pretty big but the shoulder blade is much smaller. If however you do actually hit the shoulder blade/bone itself then penetration may be a problem with either a fixed or a mechanical broadhead. Best course of action? Don't do it.

The main reason people get poor penetration with a mech head is they use one with a cutting diameter that is just too big for the energy their bow is generating. The energy needed to open a mech head, despite what many think, is actually miniscule. But it takes a powerful set up to push a 2 1/4 inch wide broadhead through a deer. Especially if you hit heavy bone. Know the kinetic energy your set up is producing and stay within it's limits.

Do not use a mech head as a cover for not tuning your bow. Tune your bow so that field tips and fixed blade broadheads group together or have a proffesional do it for you. Then use whatever head you like.

Accurate arrow placement is far more important than any other factor.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren