Originally Posted by Reno
We didnt have a spare and our wheel passed us on 231 in ashville slap

I'm taking a spare tire and after tonight, probably 2 spare hubs.

So, sometimes I get ahead of myself. I used the BEST grease we have at the shop to pack the bearings. Schaeffers 238. I got home, read the whole tech data sheet and at the very end, it said do not use this grease to lubricate wheel bearings in passenger vehicles. That grease is designed for high pressure, heavy load applications. I figured it would be fine, but apparently not. I decided since I'm taking a road trip to redo them again. Finding two seals on a Sunday afternoon is a pain in the rear but I did. I used Lucas Marine grease this time, but here's the problem.... When I tighten the hubs down so they won't move, then back the castle nut off 1/2 a round and then snug it back up, the hole in the spindle for the cotter pin is dead center half way on top of a stem on the castle nut. When I snug it up to get the hole lined up, the hub is somewhat hard to turn. I can turn it by hand, but it won't spin. When I back the nut off, there's a little bit of play in the hub. I opted for the tighter setting and took it for a test spin. Hubs got a little too hot for my liking. II don't even like for them to be warm. These were hot. Not "can't touch them" hot but hot enough. Now I'll pull them back off, make sure there is no wear on the new bearings, repack them again and reinstall, AGAIN.

I replaced the hubs when I bought the boat because there was scarring on the old hubs where they had been run with bad bearings in them. Now the new hubs won't snug up just right. There's obviously some wear on the spindle. I need to just go ahead and replace the whole axle.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14