Originally Posted by Fattyfireplug
One thing you need to remember about code is it only applies at the time the home was built. You can't know what code was in any given jurisdiction time or place. Codes change, some areas adopt, some don't. You can't hold a home built in 1978 to 2018 codes. There are going to be multiple upgrades done on those homes. What code applied at that time? When was each code adopted and applicable?

I can't walk into a 1965 built home and expect to find grounded outlets and modern wiring. That's why I don't quote code. We have 30 different jurisdictions in our region and every one of them adopt different codes and enforce differently. When you start quoting code you are implying you are a code expert. I know very few people who can make that claim.

We run into that often. Normally we can backtrack to find the specific code with local amendments at time of permit....for more modern codes. Older structures are more of a challenge.

This case is the 2015 IRC, City of Birmingham jurisdiction.

The oldest code I had to work with was the 1945 Standard Building Code and the 1920s City of Gadsden Fire Marshal Code for a case on a set of stairs built in the 1930s and never altered or changed since...old hotel.

Last edited by straycat; 07/18/18 07:09 PM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams