Originally Posted by straycat
Originally Posted by Atoler
Don’t have a code book, but you are pretty much never going to see a pan on a air handler that sits on top of a return plenum or return duct.. for obvious reasons...

Right. Where would it go?

So I've been reading the code tonight. From my limited understanding of the IRC mechanical code, a secondary pan OR secondary cut off switch OR secondary drain to a visible location is required if the unit is in an area where the structure or components of the structure could be damaged due to the primary drain mechanism becoming clogged or non operational.

So in this case of a mechanical closet in a finished basement, with this specific setup, it seems that there is a requirement for some type of secondary cutoff switch or something to cut off the unit of the condensate pump fails or is ever unplugged.

Y'all agree with that?

I'd say no. Typically when the code is referring to the "structure or components of the structure could be damaged" it is referring to a situation where the air handler is in an attic and thus would damage the sheetrock, ceiling and structure below. IMO flooring damage as you describe would not qualify. You're grasping at straws and trying to read something into the code that is not there trying to support the homeowner. The fact is that the homeowner is a dumbass for unplugging the condensate pump. it's called "Contributory Negligence" caused by the homeowner intentionally disabling (unplugging) a perfectly acceptable mechanical solution and an automatic win for the contractor or sub-contractor who did the install.

Same situation with the water heater sitting next to it. If the tank in that water heater fails, who's he going to sue over that flooding his basement.

Last edited by abolt300; 07/18/18 03:45 PM.