Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Originally Posted by Maggie123
Mine are 3X8 and about 3 feet tall. Takes a lot to fill but worth it!! I love my raised beds. This year has proved to me the beds produce way better than the inground garden. Good luck! Imperative you put some porous material in the very bottom.

Thanks Maggie. I'm glad you posted. I knew Troy, you and Skinny were some of the aldeer raised bed pros. Why do I need to put any material in the bottom? I was just planning on filling them up. Do I need to put landscape fabric or something in the bottom? If so, why?

Landscape material is great. What I was actually referring to is maybe a bit of sand or gravel so if you have innundating rains they don't become so saturated that they become like bathtubs holding water. With raised beds, watering is tricky. Living in the south, when the summer is so dang hot, you will have to water most every day without rain. They will dry out much faster than an inground garden in the dreadful heat we get about this time of year..

Another though, not sure if I mentioned this or not, I orgered two thousand red worms and put in my beds. They help keep the soil from compacting.

Be kind to one another and tell the ones you love that you love them often. We never know what tomorrow will bring.