Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I still think I'm sitting on a gold mine. I have the most prolific sub species of nutsedge known to man in my garden. It will grow as thick as hair on a dogs back and the blades will reach 2 1/2 feet tall. It's got a nut on it as big as a big water oak acorn. I'm trying to kill it and should be selling it.

Eat one and you will find out instantly if it's any good. A yellow nutsedge tuber has a taste that is something like kerosene. There aren't many critters in the woods who will eat them. A chufa has a pleasing flavor that reminds me of almonds. They are grown for human food in Spain; I really don't know why it has never caught on here. Might be a marketing opportunity there for someone. Anyway, one bite and you will know.

The eggheads can't agree on whether chufa and yellow nutsedge is the same plant. Some say it is and some say it isn't. It will not cross, even when growing side by side, so I agree with those who say it isn't. And the plants don't look alike at all once they are 50-60 days old.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.