Originally Posted by hunterbuck
Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
I realize it’s the most popular sport in the world for various reasons

There is ONE reason it's the most popular sport in the world....because it takes little to no money to play it. You need a ball, and a field. That's about it. No special weather required, either. Poor countries eat that crap up because they can't afford anything else.

Soccer, or futbol outside of America, is not just for poor people although yes, it's easy for poor kids anywhere to play because they just need a ball and open space.

Sorta like how poor kids played stickball back in the day with a broom handle and bottle caps, or a busted ball with tape. It's all relative to the times and locations.

As for all those "poor" countries, soccer is their national sport. Portgual vs. Spain isn't just a match, it's their SuperBowl-Daytona500-WorldSeries-BCSwithBama Championship times a brazillion. Brazil v. Argentina, England v. Germany. The African and MidEast countries have their issues but thrive on sports as a national source of pride, be it soccer, cricket or whatever.

The reason it's the most popular sport in the world is because more people in the world play it - in part thanks to the low expense to get started - than any other sport.

I don't understand the rules, didn't play, our kids didn't play and I don't get it. But I understand passion and intensity and national pride, and that's fun to watch.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020