I’ve got a lot of cutleaf primrose that has emerged as the rye has terminated. I’m good with it though. If you get down and look closely, you can see where the deer are hammering the tops out of ‘em. Nearly every stalk I looked at in this patch had the top eaten out.

This is one of the reasons why I choose not to plant in the summer on my small acreage. If your goal for deer during the summer is simply “continual attraction”…..then a fertile field of lush native growth will accomplish that with a lot less inputs and likely more soil improvements in the long run than trying to grow summer crops for deer on small plots. Now give me a 10… 15…. or 20 acre field and we’ll talk about different goals and ideas…..but with only an acre or so…..I say fertilize it, lime it, and let mother nature do her thing. Sure it makes you feel good to see the deer mowing down those beans you planted…..but in the end, what more have you accomplished by going to all the trouble??

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from experimenting and planting summer plots….hell, have fun and plant what you want. I’m just giving my perspective on it……..and before anyone asks, that's spray paint on my thumbnail. I know how folks like to pay attention to that type chit around here. grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 06/06/18 08:50 AM.

We dont rent pigs