Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by treemydog
I am not sure the Prattville, Selma, Childersburg bigger mills where I used to work would give a dealership to a 'temporary' transient logger. Heck, I heard stories of them denying dealerships to timber buyers that broke off of established dealers to start their own company... and the only thing the mills care of the landowners is their last name, to name the tract for their internal auditing systems.

Why would he want to leave his own high production area to come cut his friend's wood anyway? Doesn't he have quota to fill at the other mills he hauls to? If he drops a substantial amount of that quota (cutting his friend's timber for 5, 6, 7 months and hauling to other mills) it likely would be detrimental to his home base of operations. In other words, the logger's regular mills would be pissed to miss that guy's production and likely would punish him severely when he came back by limiting him quota... or blacklisting them from the mill altogether.

2Dogs: you are probably shaking your head at my response, but this is my knee-jerk reaction.

Heck maybe the logger from another area is part owner in the land. You saying mills cut you off for not moving enough timber? Effectively penalizing you? In our area the last thing the paper mill or saw mills sawing grade logs would do is piss off one of their major producers. That sounds like one F'ed up place down there.

When our paper mill puts on a quota, it's to cut back. Say in summer when it's dry they may be covered up and have a full yard, they'll cut the loggers back. Or if they are on shut down they may "cut them off" . But they just move saw logs and when quota is raised the start hauling more to the paper mill.

Let me say, for us paper mills and saw mills usually are very different animals in the way they do business. At least that's the way I see it.