"I know the market changes but if pulp wood pays around 6 bucks a ton, i think i would stop and start hauling scrap metal!"

The logger gets paid well above that to cut/skid/load, and most of the time truck the wood. Sometimes trucking is independent contractors that are working not as part of the logger or wood dealer. The $6 is stumpage price, or what the landowner gets.

Stumpage price = The delivered price the mill gives per ton, less other charges for getting the wood to the mill (usually a per ton price to the loggers for every ton they get on a truck and delivered to the mill, and whatever percentage or per ton price the wood dealer gets ...if there is a wood dealer involved in the transaction).

Down here where I worked, the most of the mills required the wood be hauled through a wood dealer... .so if a landowner struck a deal with just a logger, whatever price the logger and the landowner agreed on already had the logger's wood dealer's cut taken out of it. The logger did that automatically... or the logger was providing prices that his wood dealer told him to offer.

Last edited by treemydog; 05/23/18 08:03 AM.

You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?